Cigar Box Guitar, Cookie Tin Tenor Cantar, Veggie Strainer Guitar, & PVC Dideridoo... AcousticJunk

lueders

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm

One Person's Junk is another Person's Treasure...

This past school year, some of my students and I explored building acoustical instruments
out of everyday household objects. Although you probably wouldn't or couldn't rock out arena style with these instruments...it was a starting point for us and it was a whole lot of fun.
If anyone out there has done this sort of thing or has any pointers on constructing homemade instruments I would love to hear from. Building this kind of stuff is real addictive and fun!

1) -Cigar Box Guitar... greats started out on one of these
-Cookie Tin Cantar...We were shooting for a Tenor Guitar sound.

2.) -Veggie Strainer Resonator Guitar ... Built from an F-hole special I bought $75
back in the 90's Sounds great when I can
keep it in tune! Image

willem

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 am

I love this kind off stuff, i made ones a guitar out of some poor wood and flutes in a other shape then round,,when i have time i put pictures up.

lueders

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 am

(Hopefully I am not being too obnoxious with this additional post)
Here is the pic of the "Veggie Strainer Resonator Guitar."
The guitar I "hatchet-ed" up to add the veggie strainer and oven cover was
a $ 75 "EGMUND" guitar. It always had such a nice mellow sound. Sounds real nice in
its' current incarnation, too. I always wanted a Resonator Guitar and now I have one for
much much less $$(This guitar was originally made in Holland.Are you familiar with this
company Willem? Anton? I have not seen another one before or since.) Image

willem

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:53 am

lueders wrote:
(Hopefully I am not being too obnoxious with this additional post)
Here is the pic of the "Veggie Strainer Resonator Guitar."
The guitar I "hatchet-ed" up to add the veggie strainer and oven cover was
a $ 75 "EGMUND" guitar. It always had such a nice mellow sound. Sounds real nice in
its' current incarnation, too. I always wanted a Resonator Guitar and now I have one for
much much less $$(This guitar was originally made in Holland.Are you familiar with this
company Willem? Anton? I have not seen another one before or since.) Image
I'm not familair with the ''egmond'',,but can ask around,,the one i made looks a bit the same(you will see when i put on the pic's) but was more inspired by ''gibson''i believe..

willem

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:44 am

Hello Leuders, here some pics,,with one suprise,, when i looked between my mess i found a ''Egmond'',I was not aware of it,,thought it was a ''Eko'',,the other guitar is hand made by me,,found intresting to do,,it is from some poor wood,,(triplex and firewood),it has a bad sound,most intresting thing to make was the fret board(forget all,how to do),
The flutes are from firewood,,they have sound but can't realy play them,,(fun to make)and they are not round..
As for the ''Egmond'' i love to hear from you how you made your resonator.. Image Image Image

tbcti

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 am

hi i love this instruments . and now i got hugt on building them. my next task is to play my baby's . any help out there Image Image Image

lueders

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Those look Awesome, tbcti! They look like some real quality craftsmanship went into those. The fret boards look great! (And even cases for them.) I'll bet those sound really good.

p.s. I know what you mean about it being so addictive to make homemade instruments. I think it would be cool to be in a little band made up of neighbors or friends that play only homemade instruments.

tom18

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Lueders,
A good friend of mine has been building cigar box guitars, diddley bows and other 'found' instruments for a number of years. He performs under the moniker "One String Willie." Check out his website when you get a minute:
http://www.onestringwillie.com/
Tom

lueders

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

Tom, thanks for the link on "One string Willie" Very, very cool stuff...I really enjoyed that. Fascinating stuff!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic