Getting a Dean CE Acoustic/Electric Resonator...anyone have any info on this model?

lueders

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 am

Looks like the wife is gonna get me a new guitar for Christmas!!!( We probably shouldn't because money has been pretty tight up until recently. I am rationalizing it, however that is my only real hobby besides art making.)

Anyways, after looking around I think I found one that is perfect for me! I have always wanted a resonator but didn't want to give up the cutaway option. This guitar goes for $419 and within my price range. Fender makes one with the cutaway but is too pricey fro me.

It is a Dean CE Acoustic Electric Resonator Guitar with a cutaway.

The only trouble is...I am leary of buying a guitar I can't play first however.
I would be ordering it directly from Dean Guitars.

I don't know much about this model or Dean guitars, at all for that matter. Does anyone out there in T.G. land have any experience with Dean or this model/style in general? Is it a good guitar for the money

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I have heard this guitar being played both acoustically and plugged in. Not really certain about the plugged in sound as the pickup makes it act like an electric guitar not a resonator. Unplugged it is good enough for an entry level guitar. A resonator sound comes from the quality of the aluminium cone, should be spun not stamped as some cheaper models are, also the set up is crucial, the cone must sit squarely on the ledge inside the guitar and the biscuit which has the saddle must be firmly in place. Now it depends if you are wanting this for finger or slide as the set ups are quite different and this also determines the gauge of string, if its slide go for 016. bluegrass strings, never tune up to standard with these on though, you might need to raise the action which means a new Nut and Saddle. The action for my resonator is 1/16 at 1st fret and 3/16 at 12th fret, in comparison my Cole Clark is 1/32 at 1st fret and 3/32 at the 12th fret, its set up primarily for slide and is generally tuned to Open G most of the time. I have D'Addario EXP42's, Resophonic coated Phosphor Bronze .016, .018, .028, .035, .045, .056's strings on at present. The beauty of a entry level resonator is that you can easily upgrade to a better quality of sound with a set up and buying a quality cone to replace what it comes with, also a better quality biscuit. Note this is a biscuit cone not a spider, mostly used in finger-style playing, although don't believe this is a hard and fast rule. Mine is a Spider bridge. Check out this guy playing a Dean unplugged:

lueders

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks Alot, Chas! You've given me a lot to think about here...decisions are never easy are
they? Thanks for posting this. This was very helpful.

I think I would primarily want it for fingerstyle and flatpicking. I want something that is fairly
loud unplugged. I don't think I would bother raising the action for slide playing.

I think all in all, it looks like a half decent buy for the money.

Thanks again.

Chasplaya

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 pm

lueders wrote:
Thanks Alot, Chas! You've given me a lot to think about here...decisions are never easy are
they? Thanks for posting this. This was very helpful.

I think I would primarily want it for fingerstyle and flatpicking. I want something that is fairly
loud unplugged. I don't think I would bother raising the action for slide playing.

I think all in all, it looks like a half decent buy for the money.

Thanks again.
I have never seen a review for this particular model, but I have read a few for their other resonators and generally they get a 9/10 for build, finish and out of the box playability, one of these was PRC model also. You can't get a Reso and not pay slide lol! Get the action set for half and half. I must admit mine is very high but you know what, its good exercise for the fingers makes them work harder when playing finger-style. And as i said you can easily uprade to a better one with a new National cone or a quatermain cone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator_guitar

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic