Rap

wadestar

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Wow I sat through it nice chorus I agree

beaker

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Wow! you must be sheltered! Rap is actually quite a diverse genre! But oh yeah, it is music alright. If you have not ever heard anything that you like,..... I would recommend the Beastie Boys.... Ill Communication & Check your Head. They are two great albums. Beaker.

tom18

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 pm

It does meet Niel's criterion of "the right note being played at the right time." I don't have much of it in my collection, but I can see its appeal.

And "7 Mile" was fairly entertaining...

AndyT

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Never saw 7 mile. Never had any desire to.
I've always hated the 'Gangsta Rap' that the genre started with. It's horrible and had no place in civilized society.

There are some new artists out that have stuff I like. Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas (especially the song Al posted above) and a few others. Funny thing is, they do not call themselves 'RAP artists', they go by the handle, 'Rhythm and Blues' or R&B which is fine with me.

The word RAP has a really bad taste in my mouth and I do not class it as music. R&B on the other hand may not be my style, but its music.

AndyT

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

And while I'm thinking about it,

Rap is NOT music by its own definition.

The word 'Rap' as it was used back when the genre was starting was used to mean 'story' or 'talk'. It was a cultural statement that it was not music and so was not subject to the restrictions music had on it.
It also related to a persons 'Rap Sheet' which is the persons police record of his/her crimes. These two meanings when looked at in context themselves tell us Rap is not music.

Once it became lucrative, it was suddenly 'music'.

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 pm

Here's another reason to like some rap songs--
I use them to introduce my daughter to THE ORIGINAL songs that they sample from.

A prime example- 'Africa' by Karl Wolf (a canadian).
Any time we hear a song like this on the radio, I make a point of playing the original for my daughter.

Here's a scaled back version of Karl's 'Africa' that you might like. I might even be able to sing while I played guitar if I played like him!!

Here's his other (original?) version.

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

BTW.. my daughter liked the original by toto better.

That's my girl!
:)

AndyT

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Al,

WOW! I could be a Rap star! LOL

tovo

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 am

Isn't music like art? That is, any visual construct is art from the right perspective. I rather think that rap is music's answer to the modernist art movement. If a urinal or bicycle wheels can be put on a pedestal and called art, certainly we can include rap in the music world.

And really, if you ignore the lyrics it's rather like a drum solo for voice, right? All rhythm and few tonal changes?

Catman

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 am

With RAP, like all musical genres, there is some good and some bad--or more accurately--some that I like and some (most) that I don't. You could say the same about disco, heavy metal, pop, and African Belch music.

As I mature (no smart-aleck comments, please), I find that I am more open to listening to the music and lyrics (if I can understand them) and liking or disliking them on their actual merits, as opposed to their ancestry.
"We have both types of music here--Country and Western"
Pizza points to the first person who recognizes the quote.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic