Improvising 101 (12 bar shuffle in G)

daryl

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 am

Cori (and others?) here’s Neil’s shuffle in G. I added drums and bass (cause it was fun to do) and trimmed it so it’s only 7 times around (so it’s less than 3 minutes long). I hope Neil doesn’t mind.

Anyone willing to give it a go?

haoli25

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Very cool, Daryl. Nice job with the editing also. Thanks.

Bill

daryl

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Very cool, Daryl. Nice job with the editing also. Thanks.

Bill
Can we expect a video attempt from you (or maybe just an audio attempt)? I really could use some help/pointers/suggestions on MY improvising. :(

lueders

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Daryl,

Good job with this! The drums, especially the cymbals, add a lot... But where's yours at, Sir?
I am curious to see how your blues- based type playing differs from what we've seen from you before.
Curious to see how you organize your ideas...if you go for more motifs a little more or how you approach this style.

I been messing with it the past few hours and having a blast again. Now I've gotta weed what what I like and what I don't...
Probably have something ready to post here pretty soon. (Yes, I got the you tube situation resolved finally...needed new e-mail for account.)

WE SHOULD MENTION PROBABLY THAT THERE IS ACTUALLY A PDF OF THIS JAM IN G...
THE SUGGESTED 3RD POSITION BLUES SCALE IS TABBED OUT. AS WELL AS THE BACKING RHYTHM
AVAILABLE HERE:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/guitar-ti ... ythm-track

daryl

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:45 am

I will hopefully try to figure something out this weekend. Blues (I IV V) is not an easy improv for me. :(

lueders

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:40 am

Daryl, this a short & sweet one time through the twelve bars... type deal so far.
Rather than just play the same thing over and over, I just played it through twice.
I thought I would post it here now, & see what you thought...

I had another part that I really liked but couldn't quite get it to work. (I'll keep tinkerin' with it by golly.)
I was wondering if you ever experienced the phenomena of coming up with something that you think sounds cool,
and that ends up being the part that messes everything else up? lol!

It seems that simplicity is usually best. At least for me.

Thanks in advance..

daryl

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:24 am

Hi Cori, Thanks for posting. Lots of good stuff in there (IMHO). And yes, simplicity works for me too!

One suggestion....in your ending phrase after you do the chromatic walk-down on the 2nd string (frets 6 5 4 3) you do a two-finger(?) slide up the neck (not sure to where) how about trying a two-finger slur on strings 1 and 3 (xxx3x2 to xxx4x3).

I haven't had a chance to work on my improv yet (busy busy weekend).

lueders

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 am

daryl wrote:
Hi Cori, Thanks for posting. Lots of good stuff in there (IMHO). And yes, simplicity works for me too!

One suggestion....in your ending phrase after you do the chromatic walk-down on the 2nd string (frets 6 5 4 3) you do a two-finger(?) slide up the neck (not sure to where) how about trying a two-finger slur on strings 1 and 3 (xxx3x2 to xxx4x3).

I haven't had a chance to work on my improv yet (busy busy weekend).
Thanks for the feedback Daryl!

In answering your question...I was sliding from D7 shape in (1st pos.) up to G7 at the 6 & 7 th fret. I believe I cut it just a tad short so it sounded kinda funky the first time through (The second time the video cuts it off.)

b.t.w. I just tried your suggestion...I like it; not bad. Gives it more of a sixth sound... kinda of a country, or Memphis-style R&B vibe. (at least to my ears anyway.)

I'll be looking forward to yours when you get a chance. Toodles.

tovo

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Hey Daryl, Cori,

I am really appreciating this thread. I am dabbling in blues lead these days, very early stages just teaching myself the blues scale and extended blues scale so don't really feel equipped right at the moment to have a go at the improv invitation but I wanted you guys to know that I am watching it keenly, I'm sure others are also.

Cheers fellas.

daryl

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Boy, 2 minutes and 45 seconds is an eternity! Here’s my attempt at improvising with Neil’s blues shuffle in G. None of what I played was planned. The only thing I tried to do was stay in the G MAJOR pentatonic scale (G A B D E) with the blue note (Bb) thrown in. Some of the phrases work OK. Others not so much. Major problems for me are (1) lack of direction (it goes no where); (2) no big finish (just more and more of the same); (3) never a bend anywhere (my bends are always flat or sharp); (4) I’m always afraid to play a note outside of the scale (whenever I attempt to play outside the scale I hit a sour/off note – never a sweet one); (5) I lack creativity and have a limited "vocabulary of phrases (this thread will help with that I hope); (6) I’m sure there are many more problems…

Now with all the above self-criticism I must say my improvising skills have grown tremendously since I started these Improvising 101 threads (because I have been "forced" to work towards uploading videos for others to see and am no longer just noodling around for myself). So….

Tony, please give it a try (and others too). It’s only 5 notes (6 if you throw in the blue one). Choose a position, find your 5 notes, and make 2 note phrases, then 3 note phrases. That’s enough for a start. Join Cori and me in our improv quest….

So here’s my attempt:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic