Improvising without a looping machine

daryl

Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 am

Willem's post about looping machines got me to thinking......

So I decided to try a little looping with my DAW. I grabbed an 8 chord progression I liked (G Cadd2 D G G Em Am D7) and recorded the progression once through. I then played a simple bass line over it. I then expanded the progression in the DAW to make it 3 minutes long and then just played along with it.

It's a real nice progression for practicing arpeggio picking and for soloing over.

Capo was on the 3rd fret.

Here's my improv attempt:

And here's the "jam track" if anyone wants to try:

willem

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 am

That sounded really nice,,,its in G then he?? well thinkin in G with the capo it is Bb ?

daryl

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10 pm

willem wrote:
That sounded really nice,,,its in G then he?? well thinkin in G with the capo it is Bb ?
Thanks. Yes, think in G but it really is in Bb.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Very nicely improvised Daryl... I like what you are doing here. And something just triggered a memory of a guitarist I have not thought about for many, many years or heard mentioned on TG before. I think I'll post some of his stuff.

willem

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

daryl wrote:
willem wrote:
Thanks. Yes, think in G but it really is in Bb.
I do have some fun with it,,I practice the second guitar from ''you got a friend'' they are simple scale walk/slide/hammer and pullofs at first and that is in A so I just play them a fret higher,,its really fun....

Willem

dennisg

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Daryl, this is really sweet. Great job on this.

daryl

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Chris & Dennis - Thanks. It is a nice little arpeggio progression.

Willem - Glad you gave it a try and found it fun. Now....experiment on your own...don't use the "You've Got a Friend" stuff. Try just working in the G major scale (with the capo on the 3rd fret) or the E minor pentatonic scale and see what you can come up with.

sbutler

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Just out of the clear blue, I found a video on the tube of a pretty talented gal doing what ya'll have been talking about here.

sbutler

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Actually, this would make a really neat lesson. I'll bet we got a couple of ladies that would knock this one out of the park. ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic