Re:I flip out and introduce our latest Expert Teacher Jim Bruno

bilbo

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Harmonica lessons is a great idea, Jim65! Neil/Matt, something to consider, I hope...

michelew

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Welcome Jim. I'm really looking froward to learning from you. I have a really weak voice with a shallow range. So I'm hoping your lessons will help me to open up and become more confident (outside of the shower).

BRBbrb

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Welcome Jim; hope you're nicer than Simon! :ohmy: JK, look forward to your expertise.

6stringbostic

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 pm

cool! i'm very much looking forward to this!

i took some voice classes at a local community college many years ago and found the process fascinating, entertaining, and exciting!

i always had to (and continue to) struggle with the process, but i know that the process can improve ANYONE...even me (and yes, YOU too, fellow TG members!). 8-)

let's get going!

TGMatt

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Just got off the phone with JIm, his surgery went well, he is back at work, first student today, so we will see him about from this week on, thx for the welcomes guys..

tom18

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow! Welcome Jim... this is going to be AWESOME! I pretty much play guitar to accompany my voice... which I definitely need help with. Really looking forward to what you have to teach us.

John

smips65

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 pm

:(

Neil, Matt, give a poor soul a chance to conquer one world, now singing along with decent playing????

I think I'm having heart palpitations already...

Well, we have asked you all to push our bounderies, this is an exeptional one to press.

Welcome here Jim...
(some good meds might help)
Certainly some patience, understanding, humor, and DEAFNESS, in my case for sure.

Welcome aboard.

TGJimB

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok guys I am finally up and running and all too happy to address the first topic of “Voices getting older and how it really works”

The good news is that the human voice does not even completely mature until the age of 35! Surprise ha? So if you take care or your voice it will truly last a lifetime.
What does happen, as you get older is you get tired sooner, meaning it becomes harder to sing night after night. Because of this an older performer need’s to space out there performance schedules between performances. But any one night should be fine. Even into the 70ies and even 80ies. Ella Fitzgerald was able to still sing up a storm even after she had her legs amputated do to diabetes.

So based upon your comments I know that every one is know thinking yes but what about the singers we have been referring to as far as losing the quality of their voices? The answer is, they have not properly taken care of their voices.

Picking different artist like Daltry's or even using old guys like Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme even Elvis is that if you listen to there early recordings and than what they sounded like later in years you are going to say no caparison really. True!

However the key statement I made is the voice will last a lifetime if you take care of it. These guys partied dissipated sang two many concerts night after night with out proper care and use of their voices. I picked some of these names because at different times these are some of the most famous voices in American pop music history. Well just because they where famous does not mean that their use of their voices was correct.

One of the biggest problems all singer's face is flat out pushing to hard through their vocal chords. Almost every rock singer is quilty of it. Noitce I said almost because there are some who know how to do right and not hurt themselves. Yes there are ways of proper use of the voice so you can walk away from the gig or even a night of karaoke not felling trashed.

Well this is my first brief jump in and get involved with everyone. I have a student walking into my room right so let me see some of your thoughts and I will check back in later.

TGJimB

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks

TGJimB

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Thank you Bill Today is my first true day on the Forum sorry it tock so long just getting into it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic