Rest Stroke vs Free Stroke

TGHector

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 pm

One of the TG members asked my for clarification about this topic. The notes below refer to the index, middle and ring fingers of the right hand when playing a nylon string guitar.

Rest stroke: After playing a note the right hand finger rests on the string that is right above the one that was just played. Example. If the 1st string is played with the index finger, right after releasing the 1st string, the index rests on the 2nd string.

Free Stroke: After playing a note the right hand finger does not touch another string.

The debate about using rest stroke or free stroke or both has been going on for centuries.
I use both free and rest strokes mainly for tonal contrast. Arpeggios are almost always played with free strokes, unless there are some notes that I need to highlight (using rest strokes in arpeggios is harder and may slow you down).
Chords are always played with free strokes.
I use the rest stroke when playing melody lines or scales that require emphasis on the expression. I find that with the rest stroke I can control the color and the volume of the note better, and therefore the music will express what I want to it to express.
For most other purposes I use free strokes.
If you have questions/comments, etc. about this topic, please drop them in this forum.

Hector

haoli25

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks Hector. I have never tried the 'Rest Stroke' before, but I will give it a try now.

Bill

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks Hector!

It is sure going to be nice to have you around. I thoroughly enjoyed your playing at TG Live. Look forward to hearing more from you!

MJ

Lavallee

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi Hector thanks for the explanation. You wrote that you can control better the color and intensity with a rest stroke. Why? you release the string with both the rest and free stroke. Does the rest stroke implies a controlled release of the string?

Marc

michelew

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 am

Hector,

I found that a really helpful explanation, it clarified things for me. I made the suggestion about explaining the terms, because I didn't want to assume that I knew what they meant and then find out later that I hadn't and was doing it wrong. I wondered how often the rest stroke is used, so you've helped there too. I'm hoping that you might teach us a song that uses the rest stroke at some point so that we can see how it adds colour.

By the way, I'm really enjoying learning the Irish Dance. Mine is sounding more like a dirge at the moment, but I'm sure it will come together as I get it under my belt. THe vibrato - I'm still struggling with. Surprisingly, I got my steel string to do it this morning (I think) but haven't managed it with the classical yet - nothing discernible anyway.

THanks again. It is great having you as a teacher. And you play sooo beautifully - it is such a joy to listen to you.

Michele

jim56

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 am

Hello Hector and Welcome,

I've been practicing arpeggios using the rest stroke. Only 2 fingers, i & m on the G string. It is challenging but the speed will increase with time, I hope. Also been working on finger walking in first position. The third and fourth fingers are weak and difficult to control. Any suggestions on technique to improve, aside from practice?
Hope to conquer Recuerdos de la Alhambra one day. Thanks for joining the TG team.

Also been enjoying your 2 albums.

Jim

dekotaj

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 pm

So that's what that's call,Rest stroke.

I found myself doing that on the song the Boxer,With a Travis picking pattern.But it was with my thumb and on the string below not above.Is that the same thing?

TGHector

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 am

Thanks for your warm reception! You guys rule!
Seems like this topic is enjoying the attention it deserves. I will make a video/lesson demonstrating how I use both rest and free strokes and how they affect the sound you produce. In the meanwhile, I will discuss the topic with you. Hopefully we do not make it sound too technical.

A little of history; in the late 1800s, Francisco Tarrega, a great Spanish guitarist recommended using mostly rest strokes, limiting the use of free strokes to notes that were not possible to play with rest strokes. Also, Tarrega did not use nails, only the finger tips.
Later, as the technique evolved and the use of nails became standard, a technique that combined rest and free strokes became more common.

It is possible to play everything with just free strokes. In fact, I know there are some good guitarists that claim to get the same rest stroke control and sound by using just free strokes. Free strokes are more natural for arpeggios and chords (chords are virtually impossible with rest strokes and arpeggios are harder to play). With practice, it is not too difficult to play fast arpeggios with free strokes. Doing the same with rest strokes is not possible.

That being said, I still get better results when I use rest strokes to accent some notes or passages. This is especially true when I need to highlight some notes with volume and still get a clean sound. In order to play a rest stroke note, the fingers are almost straight and the force comes mostly from the joint between finger and hand. Because of that fact, there is more strength available to produce the note and therefore it is easier to get a loud sound. If in addition, the nails are properly shaped and buffed, you will get a loud high quality sound and because the finger rests after producing a note, you will feel like your hand is in control, allowing you to highlight the accents of the melody.

michelew

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 am

Great stuff thank you, for the extra info and the future lessons. Michele

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:48 am

This is first rate info , can't wait for the demo's of this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic