hands on teaching

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 am

I think I posted this somewhere else- but I took guitar lessons when I put my daughter in piano lessons about a year ago. It was expensive ($22/week) and I was limited to a half an hour. I was on my own the rest of the week to plunk along. I found I was learning more from the internet than from my instructor. No slight against him- he was very talented- but having one on one lessons to learn 'Smells Like Teen Spirit didn't make sense! Especially when everyone and their dog posts how to do it online! I found TG and left the live lessons after 6 months.

My daughter is still enrolled in piano, as she's learning the fundamentals from scratch. I just want to play tunes and have fun. I'll pick up theory as Neil posts his lessons.

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
My daughter is still enrolled in piano, as she's learning the fundamentals from scratch. I just want to play tunes and have fun. I'll pick up theory as Neil posts his lessons.
Al: My son will be graduating from his piano lessons next month. He has been at "The Children's Music Academy" here in Ventura for about four years now. He is doing great, and has far surpassed me in his music ability already. As far as my private lessons, my instructor has a Masters Degree in Classical Guitar and plays in his own band and teaches as well. He is a great dude, and very patient with me. When I need him to, he will lead the lessons, but when I want to lead them and talk about something specific, he is willing to do so. He works me and keeps me honest, but he also believes I need to continue to have fun. After we finished working on the last song, he has given me two more that I have to break down this week. I feel the pressure, but it keeps me motivated. Even if I screw up, he praises me for what I do correctly and we spend our lesson time on what needs improvement. He has gotten me to actually hear the #1 chord in the song finally (my biggest hurdle to date). I have to say though that a huge portion of my improvement has come from the songs that Neil has posted. The idea that Neil wants to have a "Teaching Moment" in each song that he puts up has really worked well for me. Being able to apply what Neil has to what I am doing in lessons has been wonderful.

MJ

suziko

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm not adding anything new, I suppose, but I figured I'd chime in anyway :) I started playing a little over a year ago and have done a couple of group lessons through our local University's extension program, as well as one-on-one sessions with an instructor. I learned things in both of those settings but I have to say I've learned WAY more here. Here's why:

1. Being able to pick what I want to learn (instead of having to slog through, say, "Sloop John B" for class). I'm much more likely to learn something if it interests me personally.

2. The ability to replay something; there were so many times when I didn't "get" what my teacher was saying the first (or second, or third...) time, and sometimes you get sheepish about constantly raising your hand and asking them to re-explain.

3. Feedback IS necessary, and that's where uploading a video really helps. I was very hesitant to do so (in part because so many of the members here are much more experienced than I), but I got such helpful tips from the TG members who posted, as well as a video response from Neil.

Lastly, in it's own category: the cost; it doesn't even compare. My group lessons were $150/8 weeks (1 hour/week), and private was $30/1/2 hour. Sometimes I can't even believe how cheap TG is, considering what I get from it.

At some point I might work with a teacher again. But for now, TG is giving me what I need to improve my guitar playing.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:19 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The total package here at TG (I get Bear, Chas, Andy, Tovo, Al, MJ, Heyjoe, Wrench, Barb, Suzie, Rick, Ric, Revier, Carbo, Willem's and all the others' antics and in-puts and feedback free)
Hey I never said it was free, the account is in the mail!!! I might be easy but I aint' cheap!! lol

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:39 pm

I'll add my little say here, no doubt it would be helpful to have a professional evaluate your playing style and point out the things that would be best to work on and I would definitely like to know what the heck the Nashville Counting Method (or whatever that was). But after that, convenience and being able to have the repition, to put in my earphones and play along with Neil until I get it right, to be able to practice late at night if I can't sleep are just some of the examples why TG works for me. Not counting the option of doing vid's and get feedback, I've never found any source for learning guitar that comes close to meeting my specific needs, without even leaving my house (except to but another guitar)joke! compared to what TG provides. Gary

tovo

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:58 pm

I gotta jump in here as well. I reckon that one-on-one instruction is always going to be useful provided you click with the teacher and he/she understands what you are trying to achieve and supports you. By way of example my 77 year old father decided he wanted to be able to strum a few old country tunes and started to take lessons (I'm inspired by peopel who NEVER think they are too old) but seems to me the instructor isn't flexible enough to adapt to my dad's specific needs so I flicked him some videos and he is finding them very useful.

If you look at the options that were available just a few short years ago, we have such an advantage. Previously it was shell out for instruction (an expensive option) or try to learn from a book which can't really capture the visual medium. Having Neil's resources and help from you guys and girls is worth it's weight in gold for all the reasons that have been brought out. 20 bucks a month is great value from my point of view, (acknowledging that for many people that is a real sacrifice..power to them) As the Aussie dollar goes from strength to strength it's even better!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic