I just fired my guitar teacher ...

heatndude

Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 am

I took a few months of one on one lessons when I first started a year or so ago then came across TG when it first started. After belonging to Target for a couple months I dropped the one on one lessons because I was getting better a lot faster with Neil. It was easier to just jump on the computer when time allows and practice versus having onr thing to work on for a week til my next lesson. Now I jam once a week with my old teacher and one other dude that teaches guitar also, they are amazed at how fast and accurate Im learning this darn instrument. So I have showed them the TG web site a few times so they can see how a good teacher goes about things. These dudes are always asking me what Neil is up to, how did he go about teaching that etc... All of this helps me learn by having to teach the teachers a little. Not that I know a lot !!!!!! So yes I fired my guitar teacher and hired Neil, best move I ever made !
Thanks TG

Mark

buzz_187

Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 am

Yes i agree, Neil has the GIFT of being able to teach, and teach well, at a fundamental and advanced level! And i really think thats what it is, a gift! Just like some people who can just pick this darn guitar up and excel and rocket past others, its a god-given gift if you will. In retrospect, i too, am starting once-a-week private lessons. Is there anything i should look for in our first meet, any questions i should ask, i mean whats the best way to assess this new guy's intentions?

Music Junkie

Sun May 09, 2010 1:05 pm

buzz_187 wrote:
Yes i agree, Neil has the GIFT of being able to teach, and teach well, at a fundamental and advanced level! And i really think thats what it is, a gift! Just like some people who can just pick this darn guitar up and excel and rocket past others, its a god-given gift if you will. In retrospect, i too, am starting once-a-week private lessons. Is there anything i should look for in our first meet, any questions i should ask, i mean whats the best way to assess this new guy's intentions?
Buzz:

Just make sure that the instructor listens to what YOU want to get out of it. There are some great people out there, hopefully you get a good one. My instructor is always helping progress in what I want to do , and not just showing off his skills (which are considerable). Most of all, have fun with it and coordinate it with what you are learning here at TG. It really can be great to have both.... B)

J

buzz_187

Sun May 09, 2010 1:40 pm

thanks for the input MJ, yeah im gonna take full advantage of both him and TG at all times! my progress has come to an utter stand-still it seems, and i think its time to jog the ole brain a bit, and try to kick start things back into high gear!!!

Music Junkie

Sun May 09, 2010 8:04 pm

buzz_187 wrote:
thanks for the input MJ, yeah im gonna take full advantage of both him and TG at all times! my progress has come to an utter stand-still it seems, and i think its time to jog the ole brain a bit, and try to kick start things back into high gear!!!
From my perspective, concentrating on ear training has really been a blessing when combined with the TG material. Neil put up some great clips on intervals that were very helpful as well. I have struggled with it, but it is getting better, and it has opened up an entire new set of songs to me. If you struggle with it, I would recommend working on understanding the timing of songs as well. I find myself really listening to the basics of a song now to hear the time signature and the base line. If you can get those down, transcribing your own songs is a fun and challenging project..... B)

Let us know what you think about the private lessons.

J

zayarumster

Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 am

I just hired a guitar teacher. I found myself making simple mistakes that were becoming bad habits while playing. At first they were hard to notice but over time became worse. The instructor I chose has over 40 years of experience and is willing to listen to my choice of direction. Working with an instructor, I am seeing my technique becoming more consistent and correct. Working with this site and with an instructor has taken my ability to a new level.

Lavallee

Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 am

I actually had a very good teacher (Sebastien), more than a year ago who would focus on what my request and was very patient and would do research on what I asked, but he left to play on a ship for 6 months. Then I tried with others but it was not same link. Then I found TG and did not feel the need to find somebody else. 4 months ago somebody recommended someone, so I felt I should try. Very good teacher (Olivier), worked on rhythm but after a short while, I was so busy, so I thought that I was good with TG only, being available whenever I need. The feedback we are getting from Neil is almost as good as a teacher since you can apply the comments from other students to us and it is good for me, for now.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic