>> Newest complete free lesson - Songwriting Collaboration #1 - Free Collaboration Project

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new lesson, free for everyone here at Totally Guitars!

With the fantastic response to last week’s Lyric Collaboration on my song And Winter Glows, I took the hint and decided to expand on the theme.

In this video I sat down without a plan, other than to improvise a chord progression, polish it up and make it balanced, then experiment with melodies. You are invited to craft some lyrics to my melody, create your own melody, change the rhythm, or really do anything you want with what I have started.

Hopefully this might include toying with your own progressions and rhythms. Feel free to post your lyrics in the Forum thread where this lesson was announced.

Enjoy this level 1 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... oject.html

dtaylor

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I suggested this would be a good idea for a lesson about 4 years ago and sure enough it looks exciting. I'd be really interested in seeing where different personalities take this and how the spin they put on it can change things up.

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:07 pm

This will be a fun one to watch as it progresses. It is fun to watch as you play through it and just know what chord you are going to next, without having to slow down. I am lacking in the ear training department in so far as I can hear the chord I want to go to next, but I don't know what it is. I think that is the part that has caused me so much trouble in this area. Maybe these projects will help out!

Thanks for doing this!

cwardm

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey y'all... this past summer I tried to write my first ever song after visiting/ camping at King's Mountain State Military Park (Battle of Kings Mountain, South Carolina, 1780). It was framed around a Neil Young song I was learning at the time (Out on the Weekend). The song in this collaboration reminded me of it a bit, and I tweaked some of its lyrics to fit it better. Some of the lyrics are based on real historical facts so it may sound a little strange (sorry, I love history and was trying to illustrate the battle). I hope it fits/ makes sense to some degree!! (commas mean a short break or breath in order to match the chord progression/ changes)

King of the Mountain

Verse 1
They were mountain men, brothers too
Refusing to be wasted by, fire and sword

Verse 2
They banded together, yes, “sweet lips” too
Climbing the mountainside and praying to the Lord.

Chorus
They were, Kings of the Mountain
Standing tall, with brave resolve.
If only they knew the weight of their feat.

Verse 3
Checkered Ferguson, didn’t know what to do
For these men’s freedom was all, they could afford.

Verse 4
Before they could blink, here rang the coup
That would forever, change the war.

Chorus
Standing tall, with brave resolve
If only they knew the weight of their feat.

daryl

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Chris, That was great. Really worked well with the "Neil Young" vibe. Just one suggestion/comment - what do you think about making the line read, "They were KINGS, Kings of the Mountain"? It seemed odd to me to pause at "were" as in "They were..........Kings of the Mountain". Opinions?

BTW will you try to sing this and upload a video?

Good job.

cwardm

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I like that suggestion; not only does it fix that odd pause, but the double "king" reinforces one of the main ideas: these soldiers were KINGS of the mountain battle, and, consequently, their victory. I'm still a very beginning vocalist (I've been trying to subscribe to Totally Vocals but have had some trouble), but I'll try not to let that scare me and give it a try. Thanks, Daryl.

daryl

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:56 pm

I had no idea what I was going to write about. Phrases and snippets just appeared and morphed and disappeared until this came out......

Start Neil's video at 8:33 and sing-a-long.....

It's Too Late

I still remember when
We started out as friends
It seems like only yesterday

We made our sacred vows
Made a life but who knows how
And now you’ve thrown it all away

Chorus
It’s too late, what’s past is past
And we can’t change a thing
Now it’s too late, the past is past
But we can’t go on from here

I will remember when
And of the love that we shared

But then I’ll stop and cry
And sit and wonder why
You had to go and throw it all away

Chorus

willem

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:09 pm

daryl wrote:
I had no idea what I was going to write about. Phrases and snippets just appeared and morphed and disappeared until this came out......

Start Neil's video at 8:33 and sing-a-long.....

It's Too Late

I still remember when
It seems like only yesterday

We made our sacred vows
Made a life but who knows how
And now you’ve thrown it all away

Chorus

I will remember when
And of the love that we shared

But then I’ll stop and cry
And sit and wonder why
You had to go and throw it all away

Chorus
How do you want us to sing that, we don't know your phrases , adlibs?

daryl

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Willem, I think that if the "meter" of the lyrics is correct (ie. inline with) the rhythm one should be able to "read" the lyrics along with the music. And given the melody that Neil proposed, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something that is similar to what I hear in my head. Give it a try. You might be surprised and what you "hear".

willem

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:31 pm

daryl wrote:
Willem, I think that if the "meter" of the lyrics is correct (ie. inline with) the rhythm one should be able to "read" the lyrics along with the music. And given the melody that Neil proposed, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something that is similar to what I hear in my head. Give it a try. You might be surprised and what you "hear".
Oh I understand what you mean, but there must be more than that. It's a story you tell (sing) in a certain way or expression?

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic