>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 183 - Phoenix Guitar League Meeting with Neil - Part 3

tgjameela

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Everyone!

Part 3 of Neil's presentation at the Phoenix Guitar League is now live!

Enjoy!

On November 13, 2018 the Phoenix Guitar League had its first meeting at a Marriott Hotel on the west side of town.
Neil was asked by Bart Marshel to be the inaugural Presenter with a mixed format of performance, instruction, and
interaction with the attendees.

A small group of guitar players convened and a great time was had by all (maybe...).

Part 3 picks up as Neil gets into his biggest influence, John Renbourn, and the student who brought him a couple
projects that made a big impact on him. He plays Dallas Rag, Ladye Nothinge's Toye Puffe, Anji, Judy and Black
Orpheus mostly in their entirety, along with some random measures from a few other pieces.

baffled

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Once again thank you for posting this, and quickly after the previous
section. I was devastated when you cut off the second section just
after mentioning John Renbourn! 'grin'

I believe John would have been very happy with your rendition of Judy
Neil. I don't think he ever did it as musically as yours came across.

Another one of the pieces he liked to perform, which you could do a
really cool instrumental version of, is Davie Goulder's Sandwood Down
to Kyle, IMO. His arrangement of it was just amazing.

I thought you did a very nice job on Black Orpheus too. The audience
sounds very enthusiastic about your presentation

baffled

TGNeil

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi Baffled,

Thanks for the comments on John. I feel incredibly fortunate to have spent as much time with him as I did an, as I have said before, there were a pile of people I was influenced bu but he was the only one I still felt like I was learning from when he died. As far as Judy, he recorded that when he was about 22 or so and I had the benefit of playing for about 50 more years before I played it like last week.

Sandwood Down To Kyle is another of my favorites of his, along with Lord Franklin and the South Wind to name a couple others in the folk/vocal world. He definitely touched the world in a way that not many other do and we are all the better for it.

Neil

P.S. The audience was small but engaged, and I varied a lot from the prescribed Guitar League path but it was very fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic