On The Beat - Episode 386 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 18th, 2017

TGNeil

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Walt, you make a good point, does Neil have some actual scientific basis for his Fret-marker phobia? We await with baited breath! :laugh:

Peace and love. :)
Sorry I never mentioned why I use the fretmarkerless guitar. It's my everyday guitar that I keep in the studio ready for lessons or videos at all times, and my favorite one to play. That's all the scientific basis I can offer up.

Neil

wrsomers

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:37 am

TGNeil wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Walt, you make a good point, does Neil have some actual scientific basis for his Fret-marker phobia? We await with baited breath! :laugh:

Sorry I never mentioned why I use the fretmarkerless guitar. It's my everyday guitar that I keep in the studio ready for lessons or videos at all times, and my favorite one to play. That's all the scientific basis I can offer up.

Neil
So, there you have it!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:25 am

Too funny Dermot! Missed my chance to work some better fret-markers into my text, dang! :laugh:

Yes, there you have it Bill, a full and complete confession! Neil has convicted himself. I shall proceed to sentencing.
Neil you are hereby sentenced to 10 hours community service to benefit any and all damaged parties by creating lessons to the entire Supertramp album, Crime of the Century.... with fret-markers! :silly: Image

spinland

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Neil you are hereby sentenced to 10 hours community service to benefit any and all damaged parties by creating lessons to the entire Supertramp album, Crime of the Century.... with fret-markers! :silly:
Too lenient. Make it Justin Bieber. :side:

Mark

thereshopeyet

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:44 am

Neil
I think you should just continue to enjoy the freedom of your aesthetically favorite and best sounding guitar !

It would be the Crime of The Century otherwise ! Image

unclewalt

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Actually, I think you did respond this way before. So.... um, ok.

TGNeil wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Neil

wrsomers

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 am

unclewalt wrote:
This is what's called "solipsism." Clearly, a bunch of people in this discussion and earlier ones have an issue with the lack of fret-markers. It's a relatively minor thing (at least to me - though I don't get the insistence behind it), but it's not an invalid complaint worthy of your contempt just because it doesn't happen to be an issue for you. If it weren't an issue for some people (beginners in particular), fret markers wouldn't exist at all, right? They're there, when they are, for a reason. Also, most guitars have them on the side of the neck if not on the fretboard (not sure if that's true in this case). Those are there for a reason, too.

wiley wrote:
This just in .........

Taylor Swift, the once go-to girl of "Country Music" has by all means and quantities declared herself a "Pop Star" - oh wait, that's old news.

Really, I mean really - fret markers?

I have what, five acoustic guitars hanging on my wall and I have to think if any and/or all of them or one of them, or some or whatever the ..... has fret markers or some sort of bling-bling thingy things on what finite fret of whatever.....

Bill, I love ya man, I really really do - I haven't looked at a dot on the side of my neck in a long, long time and I'll say it loud and clear - I'm half, if that, of the player you are. Probably ever will be. I respect and honestly give a damn. Can't wait to share another shot of Woodford's Reserve.

Neil - just play my brother, just teach the way you teach, do the thing you do. It's more of a feel, a love of what you do, Hell, I never seen a Claxton with dots anyways. He even do that?

**Disclaimer: this is what a bottle of cheap Resling (Kung Foo Girl) on a chilly night, a Bit of Bronchitis treated with Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and a half ass argument with the wife over some dumb shit gets........

Now what was the question??
"Solipsism, in philosophy, an extreme form of subjective idealism that denies that the human mind has any valid ground for believing in the existence of anything but itself. "

Thanks again Uncle Walt. As always you are right on point.

Wiley, at the risk of being accused again of having a "teenage" mentality, a shot or two of Woodford's does go a long way to soothe the troubled mind. I'm afraid you'll have to come to Connecticut for that though. Thank you for your comment.

For the record, I rarely look at my fret markers when playing a song I've already learned. Isn't that what practice is all about? I also play the piano, and once I've learned and practiced a song, I could play it blindfolded. But that's not the point here.

My request for fret markers related to the learning process. Anything that helps that, is worthwhile. Would I like to be able to pick up a guitar or sit down at the piano and learn a song and play like Ray Charles? Sure, but that's never going to happen. :)

When I teach my golf students, and when I practice my own game, I use two or three sticks (markers) placed on the ground to help with aiming and alignment (two things that are essential if you want the ball to go where intended). Can you use them on the golf course while playing? No, that is against the rules, but while learning/practicing they are permitted and are invaluable tools. Watch a PGA tournament sometime and you'll see many of them have those sticks in their bags to use on the practice range while warming up.

I recall one of Neil's lessons contained a segment about how to slide up a string to a particular note and hit it accurately. He said the best way to do that is to look at where you want to land and slide your finger to that position. How much easier is that to do if you have a reference point on the neck?

Ok...enough said.

Neil, in the spirit of laying this issue to rest , I'm sending you this gift (tongue in cheek) as an act of contrition for being so hard on you. Use them if you want or not. It won't bother me in the least. Peace :)

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

:)

wrsomers

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Wow!!!

Well Neil I guess you were absolutely right when you say at 8:21 in the subject video "Oh boy, now we've opened a bad can of worms".

Do I need fret markers? No, not if I want to always play open chords in first position. Yes, if I'd like to learn to play riffs, licks and solos up the neck.

I'm done with this thread. My head hurts from banging it against the wall.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Uncle Walt Wrote:
They exist for the same reason that the keys on pianos aren't all the same color
Yep !

:laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic