I like this site but,

When we launch a feature you will hear about it here..
the_chelsea_potter

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

I'm a little disappointed that Neil has not posted a "Thick as a Brick" lesson. I originally signed up after seeing a TAAB mini lesson on Youtube. At the end of the lesson Neil says that Target members will have access to the full version. I've been a member for over a year and the lesson still hasn't been posted. I just think Neil should do the lessons that have been promised in the sales pitch before posting other lessons. I don't mean to be harsh because I really enjoy the site. I just think when someone advertises something they should deliver. That's my rant.

TGMatt

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:39 am

Well..

My feedback to this is as follows.

I appreciate you wanting the lesson, I checked the video, it states that we have not created the lesson, but if you like it vote for it ..so it is not promising it , at least not what I can tell..

I also know that Neil has talked about it a few times, and Jethro is a fave of his, but for one reason or another has decided not to make it into a lesson as yet..

The idea we are selling or pitching something that we are not delivering is a little on the strong side I personally think , as I think we have over delivered way above any expectations on lessons, we just haven't created this one song..YET..but we have released 5 lessons a week + for 5 months now, instead of 4-6 lessons a month, I would say that is over delivering..

I will ask Neil why he has shelved this song to date, other than the obvious reasons (of which there are many) and see what we can do. In the mean time I hope there is something else you can enjoy in the meantime, who knows it may come out tommorrow, or it may be a while, this week has all been about prog rock..so hope that has captured you a little..

Thx for being a part of Target

TGNeil

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 am

HI CP,

Thanks for the comment and sticking with us for so long. I am sorry about not getting to Thick As A Brick as I have started working on the lesson about 5 or 6 times before getting side tracked. First, I have to tell everybody that the album is on my top ten list of best albums ever made, as well as my list of personal favorites (a few of which I might not consider as part of the ten best list, maybe just guilty pleasures). I frequently have a bit of a struggle with songs I hold in this high regard as I feel the lesson has to do justice to the masterpiece. Classical Gas would be a good example of this.

I also keep a close watch on the songs with lots of votes on our Recommend A Lesson list and am trying and planning to get to as many of them as possible. I can say there are a few in the top 100 that I am not likely to do but the fact that this tune is one of my personal favorites and has over 50 votes means there is no chance I will not get to it.

On one hand, there is a part of me that wants to do the entire album, being a bit of an obsessive completionist with little tolerance for inaccuracies and shoddy instruction, especially in things as complex and precise as Thick As A Brick. Another example of a request that presents the same dilemma for me is Tubular Bells, probably also on my two top ten lists.

Then there is the other side- the first 3 minute section presents the main theme and is really the acoustic guitar part that most students want to learn, although the guitar makes a few reappearances that are interesting as well. Some of them are just basic strumming and others are slight variations on the Part 1. I might just need to come to grips with doing a lesson on Part 1 and leaving the rest for another day, or not at all.

I am not sure I can promise it but I can tell you there are 4 or 5 songs in the top 20 that I planned to get to early this year and at least one has been done recently. You may have also noticed that I am trying to release a batch of songs each week that are somehow related. This week's set of obscure progressive pieces is a good example. I am planning a second batch of similar songs in the near future and Thick As A Brick (Part 1) will likely be the headliner.

Thanks again for the message and the reminder and I hope you have found plenty of other songs to tide you over in the meantime but rest assured, Thick As A Brick is in the pipeline.

Neil

unclewalt

Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Heh. I was going to make a *joke* that you should do the whole album, before I saw that you were actually considering it!

sbutler

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm starting to think that Neil and I are mirror images when it comes to the songs we like. He's just much more gifted at replicating them than I.

And Neil/Matt, even though there are tons of songs that I would love to see as lessons, in the 8 months that I've been a target member, I've learned enough to recognize, its not just about learning any particular song. Its more about learning how to play the guitar in my lap, and then learning how to work out those songs I want to learn by myself. And I'm proud to say that I'm getting there.

You have more lessons now than I can learn, so I simply concentrate on the techniques taught within the lessons I do work on and I know I'll get better each day.

But more importantly (to me anyway) is that you two are always there. Its not an ice cold, frigid, person-less website. The fact that you can and do respond when someone has an issue or concern, means an awful lot to me.

Keep up the good work and thanks,
Scott

wammer

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:57 pm

sbutler wrote:
I'm starting to think that Neil and I are mirror images when it comes to the songs we like. He's just much more gifted at replicating them than I.

And Neil/Matt, even though there are tons of songs that I would love to see as lessons, in the 8 months that I've been a target member, I've learned enough to recognize, its not just about learning any particular song. Its more about learning how to play the guitar in my lap, and then learning how to work out those songs I want to learn by myself. And I'm proud to say that I'm getting there.

You have more lessons now than I can learn, so I simply concentrate on the techniques taught within the lessons I do work on and I know I'll get better each day.

But more importantly (to me anyway) is that you two are always there. Its not an ice cold, frigid, person-less website. The fact that you can and do respond when someone has an issue or concern, means an awful lot to me.

Scott

Ditto :blush:

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

wammer wrote:
sbutler wrote:

Scott

Ditto :blush:
Double Ditto...... B) B)

Since joining the Target program my music book has expanded exponentially. Both with lessons from TG and from transcribing my own using the tools that this site gave me. I have to admit that getting the lesson from Neil is much more enjoyable and a heck of a lot less work for me, but I do get a certain satisfaction from working a song out on my own. Tough thing to do for some songs, but most are doable.......

J

millponddave

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Alright, Triple ditto!
I really do like the fact that the songs presented are designed to get us to think for ourselves and use the techniques that we learn here to go on and learn more on our own.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic