If It Makes You Happy

mike721

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 pm

I've been in a bit of a rut and haven't practiced lately. Once I get my guitar out of its case, I'm usually okay. This song was written by Sheryl Crow.

Craig

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Nice job Mike! Your strumming is definitely getting smoother. Keep up the good work and pick up that guitar!

Craig

mike721

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words Craig. I like to think of one of my favourite songs when I'm too depressed to sing and play.

But there's one thing, I know,
the blues they seem to meet me,
won't defeat me,
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me!

Raindrops keep falling on my head...
And just like a guy who's feet are too big for his bed,
nothing seem to fit,
those, raindrops keep falling on my head,...

:)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Very nice Mike! Your voice is really good in this song. A surprising but excellent choice.... well done! Good to see you posting again.

Chris

daryl

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Mike. I gotta say, I love your voice! Nice job all around. Nice steady strumming (and the guitar was nicely tuned). I too am in a rut and don't know how to get out of it. Perhaps to help me, will you look at trying a Beatles tune? Any Beatles tune will do as they are mostly positive and up-beat. Keep on playing and singing!

mike721

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Daryl,
Chris,

Thank you so much for the kind praise. I feel kind of embarrassed because the main riff of the song doesn't match my strumming, (as a matter of fact, it doesn't sound like it at all,) but today I listened to Sheryl Crow's recording many, many times and I'm starting to pick it up. I'm going to re-record it and post both before and after here.

There is one particular Beatles song that I absolutely love, "Here comes the sun." It's very bright and uplifting. Neil has it. I'll try to sound like George. :laugh:

tombo1230

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am

Great job Mike! I'm looking forward to 'Take 2.'

Here's a tip for you......If you have bother taking your guitar out of the case, leave it on a stand permanently,
then you don't have to do anything but pick it up and play. :) No psychological hurdle to overcome.

Cheers,

Tom.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:31 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Great job Mike! I'm looking forward to 'Take 2.'

Here's a tip for you......If you have bother taking your guitar out of the case, leave it on a stand permanently,
then you don't have to do anything but pick it up and play. :) No psychological hurdle to overcome.

Cheers,

Tom.
Absolutely! Guitars should be out in the open and not enshrined in guitar coffins! They need to be picked up regularly and stroked and caressed and sung to. I have one on a stand in practically every room. :)

dekotaj

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 pm

BRAVO!!
Hope I also can get get out of my rut??
The very best to you Sir
Kevin

wrsomers

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Really nice work Mike. Your guitar playing is improving with each new post. I think your voice is great. FYI, here are the correct lyrics for the beginning of the song:

I belong, a long way from here
I put on a poncho and played for mosquitoes
And drank 'till I was thirsty again
We went searching, through thrift store jungles

Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's cursive pen
Well, okay, I made this up
I promise you I'd never give up

I may be wrong but I don't think Benny Goodman was a transvestite :laugh:

Cheers,
Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic