12 String Guitar

clydeortego

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks fellas:

When I get a chance I will start looking into some of the ones you all have suggested.

Right now I am using a Luna Five watt suitcase amplifier that I use with my Baritone Ukulele, and it sounds pretty good, but I will want to

get a better one later.

Have a great fourth of July and stay safe with fireworks.

Happy Strumming

Clyde Ortego

haoli25

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Have fun with the new 12-string, Clyde. Say goodbye to those old guitar-player calluses and say hello to some brand new larger ones. :) :) Like Rick (BigBear), I use the Roland Cube amp. Keep your tuner handy, you are going to need it often.

Bill

wiley

Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm

clydeortego

Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey Thanks Everybody:

I just want to thank all for their input and advice on how for me to play the 12 String and for the amp information.

I will surely enjoy playing my new 12 String Epiphone and I hope to meet some of you one day.

Have a great and Happy Strumming.

Thanks
Clyde J. Ortego :cheer:

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey Clyde, I've had a 12 for a few years now and just love it. There are a few lessons on the site for 12's e.g. Emerson Lake and Palmer, Lucky Man, I Believe In Father Christmas (this has a hybrid strum and picking style ... great once you master it). Bon Jovi's 'Wanted Dead or Alive check out You Tube for Richie Sambora playing this on a 3 neck beast (Mandolin, 6 and 12 String) and The Eagles Hotel California has the 12 string component. All worth a look.

clydeortego

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey Guys:

Just thought of a new question:

Is there an easy way to tune a 12 string Guitar?

Thanks

Clyde ;)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:48 pm

its not hard anyway: Tune the main strings as you do a 6 string and then tune the octave (or double) to each string. Just takes a little longer.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:27 pm

clydeortego wrote:
Hey Guys:

Just thought of a new question:

Is there an easy way to tune a 12 string Guitar?

Thanks

Clyde ;)
I tune them in pairs EB standard then GDAE Standard and Octave, also now use a battery operated string winder Image
and use the Taylor method instead of knots

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip28.html

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Chris
I missed this topic during the week but found my way via the weekly news !! :ohmy:
I'll be lucky to get passed a 6 strings, but found your comments interesting
if I ever considered trying a 12 string.

Dermot

Chris Wrote:
I've been playing my 12 string for 25 years now (not that I am anyone's expert) and there are a few things to watch out for. You need more strength in your left hand for holding down those chords, especially barre chords which can be murderous at first! So practice those often. Open tunings are much easier on your hands so check some of those out too. I remove the octave E bass string and play with 11 strings as its so much easier to get a good bass note out that way and less pressure for your hands holding down the chords. Use light gauge strings. Play frequently but with lots of rest in between. Strumming is king on a 12, of course, picking takes more perseverance but works ok after a while. Good luck and have fun!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Dermot, 12 strings are fun and its hard to beat the sound and volume of a good 12! Love my Takamine 12 string! She has new strings on right now and is in open C tuning as I am trying to speed up the strum on Question.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic