IGC 2017 Early Details

TG started our International Guitar Camp in 2013 and now are hosting two each year, our Spring Camp at the end of April and our Fall Camp in early September.
TGNeil

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:14 pm

No blundering here, just no real public mention of the local address. It will be in an email soon.

Neil

spinland

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Cool, thanks! :silly:

Mark

wiley

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Mark, and everyone else.

I've been MIA and may continue to be as such due to personal 'life' events. I do want to suggest this, as I become more 'available' one thing I will look into is rooms at the Bristol, I did talk to management upon leaving last year and they did show interest in a 'group deal' for the upcoming night(s). Give me a few and I will touch base with them and see what happens.

I have as of yet booked anything beyond camp itself, what I have looked into is flying into MRY - Monterey, and renting a car, driving to San Jose (around an hour and a half, traffic dependent) and then back to Monterey on Monday. I'd love to offer a ride, yet my wife and I are planning (she flys in Wednesday and we fly out that Sunday) to stay over.

There are several commercial airlines that fly into MRY (Monterey) yet you will need to check to make sure as such if that applies from your origin. I fly DFW (Dallas/FtWorth) on American with a layover in Phoenix. Both ways.

IN ex. = DFW > PHX > MRY outbound, reverse back home.

Renting a car, then returning it at the origin and taking a taxi/ even a limo, is cheaper than the returning a rental to a different location than the origin/.

Long story short, give me some time to check out group rates at the Bristol. I can more than offer those like Mark a ride from The Bristol to the BBQ, and around town, and from SanJose to Monterey.

spinland

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 am

Hi, Wiley!

Thanks for stepping up, and I hope things ease up for you soon!

I'm interested in exploring collaborative ideas on the logistics, certainly. For my part my current itinerary is I'm flying onto San Jose at 1:15 on Sunday for the BBQ, staying at the Bristol that night, and have a rental car reserved and paid for that I planned to drive to Monterey and back. My ticket deals were such that shifting my flight itinerary wasn't an option but I'm more than game to shift to some sort of group deal on the hotel room and/or sharing the driving/car cost burden. Those arrangements I should be able to cancel/change without issue. My only constraint would be getting back to SJC in time for my Friday flight that departs at 11:15AM.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and am quite open to putting our heads (and wallets) together! :side:

Mark

wiley

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 am

Mark,

I found that flying into Monterey and renting the car, driving to San Jose and then returning the car to Monterey and taxi rides to camp and back was cheaper than the other. The 'savings' being the car rental is for a week and most of the time it sits in the lot at camp. SO, the $$ for the car exceeds the difference in cost of flying and the fees charged for returning the car to a different location than where picked up.

Two things that differ - I fly in on Saturday to prep for the BBQ. Just easier that way.
And, the wife is joining me on Wednesday so no need for her to drive back to San Jose.

Although we may rent a car on Friday and hit a few wineries down the 1.

spinland

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 am

Wiley,

Yeah, the issue with that is I booked my air travel into SJC before the venue changed and I'm not sure I can change it now. One of the prices of shopping for cheap fares can be limited flexibility. I'm trying to get into my flight account with Delta to see what options I have but, of course, their service is down right now so I can't do anything until they restore it. :dry:

I'm still exploring what I might be able to do. More to come as I learn.

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am

Okay, I was able to review my options.

Main issue is I tried to book an alternate itinerary that went into Monterey and was told there are no flights available and I'd have to find an alternate destination airport. I'm in semi-rural central NY and it's an hour's drive to the nearest airport, which is somewhat small, so putting together an itinerary would probably involve multiple bookings through different airlines so I could piece together a connection. Even if there were available flights I'd incur enough penalties for changing my booking that it doesn't make sense to try.

I'm okay with my current setup, even though it does involve a rental car gathering dust for a while. It's all good. Maybe I'll take some sight-seeing jaunts around the peninsula, see if I can remember where my old apartment was. B)

Mark

wiley

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

There are no 'nonstop' flights into MRY, there are only a few airlines that even fly into it and then it's by connecting flights out of San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix and a couple others.

I say none, unless your in LasVegas, SanFransisco, Phoenix, etc.....

*Is it not the same distance from San Jose to Monterey as it is from Monterey to San Jose!!!!

spinland

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Yeah, understood. Thing is, there is no single airline that connects from here to Monterey, no matter the time or number of connections. I could piece together a route using multiple airlines but it would add more cost to the airfare I'm already paying than the entire cost of the rental car for the week, would require a minimum of two stops, and would introduce several additional hours to the trip.

I've run multiple scenarios using several travel agencies and services and no outcome is cheaper or less time consuming than just flying into San Jose and driving to Monterey and back.

Air travel into and out of this area has always sucked, and not just because of the hour-long drive just to get to the nearest airport. Part of the price we pay for our quaint lifestyle. :side:

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Oh, and it's all good. I was a little surprised over how vastly different the air connections were but not annoyed. I'm kind of looking forward to the drive. It's been so many years since I was out that way, it'll be nice to revisit. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic