Flying with Guitar

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNesh

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:20 am

Travelling light Willem!

I didn't bring one last year as well and used Neil's Santa Cruz. All in all, I barely played during camp and the few occasions that I did, it was on somebody else's guitar. Except for the open mic, there I played Neil's Santa Cruz.

So again traveling light! :)

willem wrote:
I love this,, is Ness traveling with one of her guitars?

michelew

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 am

Hi everyone,

Tony and I both took our guitars to Seattle using Hiscox guitar flight cases. Well worth the $250 for peace of mind IMHO. They flew in cargo with no problems. Guitars are difficult to get in to the cabin from Oz. ukes are fine as carry on of course.

We both packed extra cotton clothing into the cases to pad them out more.

They arrived in Seattle and then back in Oz in good shape.

My case was opened by US customs flying in both directions.

Good luck.

M

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Couple of weeks ago I travelled to Ottawa from Zürich via Montreal with my new BSG in an Aligator gigbag. KLM had the best priced flight but when I called them about taking a guitar in a gigbag on board the lady was very unhelpful and said it would have to be checked in the hold. I told her if that was the case I would not fly KLM. Called Swiss Airlines, no problem, airline policy is that musical instruments go in the cabin guaranteed. The bins were huge, I could have laid down in one! Slightly different story boarding the Dash 80 Airfix-kit plane for the jump, Montreal-Ottawa! I almost didn't fit in the plane :laugh: ! So it had to be put in the hold (which was right behind me by about 10 cm) and I could personally give it to the baggage handler and ask him to be gentle! He was. Same story on the way back, no problems.

leeson

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 am

I called Southwest and they told me it was fine to bring the guitar on board.
Then I had a dream that I got on and the bins were so tiny there was no way it would fit. I woke up in a sweat.
I think I am nervous about it.
I don't have a flight case, so I am bringing a regular hard case. Less chance it will fit in the overhead bin but at least it has a chance of surviving cargo. A gig bag would fit better but it would never survive cargo and someone might just decide to toss their heavy suitcase right on top of it.
I keep hoping I will get good enough at guitar that I will have my own private flight complete with bar but....

Bill

wiley

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Bill,

I've flown many time with SWA and have used a both a 'Gator' molded type case and a 'cardboard'- 'hardshell' type, never had a problem. Most of the time the attendants allowed the case to be taken on, a few times just to avoid the problems post 9/11 (the reason for going to the 'molded' case) I checked it. I have had a couple of times they asked me to 'gate check' and it worked fine. Gate checking usually means the item is last on, first off.

Only reason I have the iSeries case is because of the type of guitar I am bringing. In either the Gibson or Tacoma is a lot more value than my old Ephi or Seagull. I'm still aware of the possibilities some knucklehead will do something stupid, like the guy last year at SJC unloading.

Even with locks all over the thing, the TSA still opens the checked bag and the keys are "TSA Standardized' meaning any and all TSA officials most likely have keys to it, not all that hard to get.

Post 9/11 I did at one time actually go with the guitar and stand by as they opened, inspected and then allowed me to lock the case with my own lock (The Gator). I have no ideal if this can be done anymore or not. I do know if you use a lock it must be "TSA approved".

I really can't find anything as to if the "Act" passed in Feb 2012 and signed has ever been finalized and become enforceable. I did find an article from July of this year that stated the act has never had a 'final ruling' and ergo, not in effect or 'enforceable' as to such. Either way, I personally have always lucked out, and may be I'm pressing that luck, again.

I ever mention I'm a Poker Player of sorts??

familyman4

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Bill,

I have flown with a full size guitar in a hard case many times with SWA. They have never made me check it. I would make one suggestion though... Pay the extra $12.50 ($25.00 for both directions) for "early boarding" and you will get an "A" boarding pass. You will be guaranteed to get an empty bin when you board the plane. Once it is in the overhead bin, you are home free..

Sleep well tonight and See you soon...

Bart

leeson

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks everyone for their thoughts on this subject. I think I will sleep better. I am just going to try to bring my hardshell case on board and see what happens. See you all there.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic