Flying with Guitar

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
BobR

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:00 pm

So the IGC is just a few weeks away :woohoo: and I have my flights booked , but I am wondering how it would be best to bring my guitar. Any suggestions from those who did it last year?

Thanks
Bob

wrench

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Wiley posted this information before camp last year, and I found it helpful and accurate. http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... tml#112558

I had a horrible travel experience getting to camp last year, but the guitar was the high spot. I had no trouble getting the guitar on board with me as carry on, and into overhead bin storage.

Rbinding

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:31 pm

I was pretty nervous traveling with a guitar for the first time last year. I used a Gator case which has hard foam support, released the tension from the strings, and packed a few tee shirts around the guitar for extra padding. Between flying from Tampa to Denver to San Jose and back, I boarded 5 flights with guitar in hand. On Southwest, I paid the extra $10 (now I think it's $20) to board earlier. Each time I smiled and spoke to the flight attendants, went to the back of the plane, put the guitar in overhead, and began watching closely and "assisting" the college students trying to mash their backpacks into the guitar. Everything went very well and I had no problems on any of the flights. I did, however breath a big sigh of relief when I was finally home, guitar intact. I'm getting pretty excited to do it all over again in a couple of weeks!

Ron

BigBear

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm totally paranoid about travelling with my guitar. Last year I brought my Taylor 314 and had no problems. But I sold that guitar and this year I'm bringing a brand new Taylor 816ce- Limited. I DO care about this guitar.

So I bought a very nice case cover from Colorado Case Company ( http://coloradocase.com/customguitarpad ... cover.aspx) that adds rigid insulation over the entire guitar case. They are a little spendy at around $300 with shipping but what is my guitar worth? Much more than that. But unless you can find a standard size it may be too late to get one before camp. They told me they were about 8 weeks out to get one so I had to pay $50 to expedite the case. The 816 shaoe is not a common size.

BTW- the old story about loosening your strings before you fly isn't true anymore according to Taylor Guitars. They say modern guitars are meant to withstand any string tension changes so there is no need to de-tune prior to flying. There are also some good tips that apply to all guitars on their link. Check out Note 3 on this link: http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/guita ... our-taylor

IGC #2 is only a few weeks away!! :cheer:

wiley

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Couple major items to be aware of -

1st - check with your airline and their policies, even with the latest legislature (for us here in the US) it allows, in reality, each airline to set pretty much it's own guidelines. The recent Maui trip was on AA, on a Boeing 767 roundtrip, I took my Taylor miniGS and it fit perfectly in the Overhead, either of my dreadnaughts or others would not have.

2nd - go even further, check to see what type of plane you will be on, each distinct airline designs each distinct plane to their needs and specs. So, a 737 on AA may and well might be (interior wise) a bit different than say on Delta. There should be a description of the aircraft's overhead bin size, even as far as the size of the bins in the different classes (IOW - 1st class may be bigger than say, coach...)

3rd - last year, the legislature was not in place, even as it is (supposedly) I have found most of the attendants up on the counter are unaware of the article, take a copy along with you and even write down or make a diagram/ layout of your case along with measurements, that and the weight is how these items are viewed. Be aware that according to the legislature, Guitars and such should not be subjected to any additional charges as for oversized/overweight, yet most if not all Airlines are counting them as your first (and most likely only) carry-on or as your first checked bag.

4th - in almost all examples, the TSA will open and inspect the contents of your case, even my soft case Taylor mini was opened after going through the x-ray thing.

In example - last year, i had a ticket on AA which allowed me one checked bag, one carry on and a personal item. I also had an additional fee which allowed e to board early, this ensures (usually) you will have OH bin space. I went to the curbside check-in, gave the guy a $10 and he walked the guitar case down. I checked in using the internet, having my boarding pass I proceeded to the 'please remove your shoes sir' line and waded my way through. So, I got on the plane with a smallish duffle bag and a stuffed back pack. You need to check with, once again, your airline and make sure your carry-on and personal item fits their guidelines.

The one thing I did do was spend $300 plus tax on a case, and as I watched the bag handling guy in SJC look the case over, then drop it, face down onto the conveyor from a steeper than 45 degree angle I knew that if I had to check an expensive guitar that $300 looked pretty cheap. Honestly, I have traveled extensively back and forth to Vegas and Southern Cali with an older, cheaper guitar in a $100 or so "Gator" type hard shell case, never had a problem. NO airline will cover damages in any way if your piece is in a 'soft/gig bag' type case.

I do know Dave Nachmanoff was bragging about the case he now uses, add in the fact the guy is always on a plane.......

Dave??? You out there??/

Link to the SKB iSeries I own - I always get questions like 'how many guns ya got in there'? "where ya going hunting at" etc....
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... &c=75&s=75

BigBear

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Great info Wiley- as always! One thing I noticed flying with a guitar is there is NEVER any space overhead for a guitar. The planes are just too crowded nowadays. I even flew first class last year and there still was no room. So the airline will politely ask you to put your guitar in the hold with other oversized objects, like strollers and wheelchairs. But at least they are individually handled. I suppose I would rather have my guitar in a pressurized hold that jammed into a too small overhead bin.

One question I had is has anyone found cheap insurance for your instrument that you would recommend? Thanks!

willem

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I love this,, is Ness traveling with one of her guitars?

schembre

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I echo what's already mentioned. I have a travel case from SKB with TSA locks ... its worth the $250 bucks or so. If you don't want the added expense please remember to loosen your strings. You don't want that 175lbs of tension on your bridge and neck during pressure changes, not to mention if it gets hot enough to soften hide glue, then the bridge will pull up. I always pack some underwear around my guitar for extra padding and it also acts as a deterrent from bad guys who are germaphobes. ;-). I'm driving up so I'll have tools in the car to do setups and neck adjustments if the flight gets your axe out of whack.

Good luck.

BobR

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your experienced input

Bob

dougyoung

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Flying with a guitar is always a bit of a gamble, and everyone's got their own stories, (good and bad). I haven't actually found it to be all that hard, tho I do know people who have guitars damaged - stuff happens. My guitars have gotten damaged just sitting on a stand at home, so I'm not sure flying is any more risky! For what it's worth, here's what I've done, all of which worked out fine:

Most recently, I flew with a gig bag and carried it on. I flew Southwest and Delta, and had no problems. The Delta flight was packed, and there was no overhead space for the guitar anywhere around me. A flight attendant took it and found a space elsewhere on the plane. Not long ago, I wouldn't have tried this, even tho I know a number of pros who just always fly with a gig bag. But things have gotten much saner for carrying guitars lately. Southwest even touts themselves as "band friendly" and the CEO's a major guitar nut. I know a Delta captain who's a serious guitarist, too, and he takes his guitar in the cabin with him. Of course you might run into a gate checker who's less of a fan, but I think with all the attention (United Breaks Guitars, etc), most airlines are trying to be nice about it these days. You'll likely see more than one guitar on your flight - someone will just be carrying it on with them.

More normally, I have Calton cases for the guitars I travel with, and I just check them. Easy and painless, and I don't have to lug them thru the airport. I have a Colorado Case Cover, which helps protect the case and (more importantly) the latches, and also makes the case look less "expensive". When going to a camp, I've found that lugging a Calton around in the redwoods gets old fast, so a couple of times, I've packed my clothes in a gig bag, guitar in the Calton, checked both. Then at camp, I have a gig bag! And if anyone tries to steal my "guitar", all they get is a bunch of dirty laundry.

If you travel a lot, a Voyage-Air is a great way to go - and a great excuse for getting another guitar. Comes with a back-pack and you just carry it on the plane. Always gets attention from the TSA guys when they X-ray it! Great for car trips, too. Just takes up less space.

Then there's the "Frank Ford Method" http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... king1.html Basically, put your guitar in a shipping box. Other than being bulky, this works great. Your guitar was probably shipped to you or the store where you got it this way, so you know your guitar survived this way at least once already. And it's cheap!

A slightly upscale version of the guitar box approach is to get a "Case Xtreme", basically a "cardboard" box made out of some kind of really tough plastic, to put your case in. I had one of these for a while, and it certainly works. Just be sure you're not renting an economy car, or it may only fit on the roof!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic