IGC-Flying with your guitar

TG started our International Guitar Camp in 2013 and now are hosting two each year, our Spring Camp at the end of April and our Fall Camp in early September.
leeson

Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:42 pm

This is causing me a lot of anxiety.
Could people flying to this year's IGC please tell me whether you plan to try to carry your guitar on or check it and what kind of a case you are bringing it in. Thanks.
Bill

silvereagles

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 pm

leeson wrote:
This is causing me a lot of anxiety.
Could people flying to this year's IGC please tell me whether you plan to try to carry your guitar on or check it and what kind of a case you are bringing it in. Thanks.
Bill
Hey Bill I'm flying delta and I'm bring my seagull s6 instead of my voyage air travel guitar. I'm carrying through to the gate but checking at the gate. I've never had a problem flying with my voyage air (about 12 flight and 3 we're international)in the overhead bin, just had to watch others and make sure they didn't shove their bag in with my guitar.

For me I would never fly with a soft case and a full size guitar, But then my voyage air is in a backpack

Im carrying mine in a skb hard case I bought recently, just don't want to check it outside

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3i421718

I'm sure a standard hard case would work too I just go alittle overboard sometimes :silly:

Hope the helps.

wrench

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Bill, I probably shouldn't be the first to reply because I am bringing a cheap guitar in a well-fitting Guitar Center polyfoam case. Last year, there were many magnificent instruments at the IGC, and I know some of them traveled in some super premium protection.

To answer your question, though, I had four legs to my trip last year. I was able to carry on and use the overhead bin on three of four legs. On the fourth leg, I had to gate check. I had no problem with that. My guitar was nearly the last thing loaded onto the aircraft, and it was the first thing off, waiting for me at the door when exited the plane, and neither guitar or case were any worse for the wear.

I will use carry on as Plan A this year, and Plan B is gate check if there is insufficient room in the cabin. I am not the least bit concerned.

I think the key is using a case you have confidence in. Expect some rough handling of your gear, and use gear that will protect your guitar under those conditions.

wiley

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Bill, here's a thread we had going a few days back.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... uitar.html

I have the same SKB case and have no fears (well, mostly) about checking it again this year with either the Tacoma or the Gibson.

BigBear

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Bill- I will never check my guitar as luggage. On all US airlines your guitar counts as a piece of carry-on along with a small laptop/attache case. It is common knowledge that nowadays with airplanes crammed to the max and everyone wanting to bring everything they own into the cabin, there probably won't be room for your guitar. So I go to the gate counter and ask if I can have my guitar put in the hold (pressurized and heated). You leave your guitar at the small platform at the bottom of the ramp and they put it in the special hold. And it seems they give it special care because usually you are watching them.

The only downside that I see is when your guitar comes out of the hold they put it back on the ramp and you may not be off the plane yet. So it would be very easy for a thief, who deplanes before you, to simply walk off with your guitar. The guitar beating me off the plane has never happened but it easily could. Usually, I have to wait a few minutes while the baby strollers and wheelchair people get attended to.

Look forward to seeing you at camp!!

Cheers! :cheer:

BobR

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Bill,
I had the same concerns and posted a similar thread. I think I am going to take Doug's link
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... king1.html
and go the cardboard box route. I got a box from my local Guitar Center and am hoping for the best :ohmy:
See you all soon :woohoo:
Bob

wiley

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I e-mailed Dave Nachmanoff - (posted with permission)

Yes, the problem of flying with guitars is a huge pain. I use a "hybrid" case by Access (http://www.accessbagsandcases.com) and I think it's a Stage Three HB. Kind of gives me the best of both worlds with shoulder straps and a soft bag look, which helps me convince airline personal to let me carry it on, but with the reinforcement that will provide protection if I am forced to gate check it. I find Southwest the most musician friendly airline (by far), and I know my 000 size Martin fits in their overhead with no problem. With the other airlines it's very touch and go - depends on the gate personnel and flight attendants. If you have a larger dreadnought or jumbo, it might be more difficult to carry it on. I used to have a Calton (got stolen) which was heavy, but fairly bulletproof -and I checked that, though that doesn't prevent loss or theft - just damage. But it was pain when I would get to my destination. There are some very light but tough fiberglass cases on the market that run about $1,200 I think and have to be special ordered - that would be ideal as you could check it, (preferably gate check) but not have a heavy burden at the other end. Can't remember the name and can't really afford it myself. Might begin with a K... Feel free to share any of my ramblings on TG for what they are worth.

Very much looking forward to seeing you at Camp!

All the best,
Dave

I have no clue where you can pick one up, I do know, they sell the really nice leather ones on their site, and if you hit the tab for 'closeout' and then 'closeout bags' they have two acoustic sizes (dreadnaught and small body) in a stage five 'teardrop' design.

leeson

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:11 am

wiley wrote:
I

I have no clue where you can pick one up, I do know, they sell the really nice leather ones on their site, and if you hit the tab for 'closeout' and then 'closeout bags' they have two acoustic sizes (dreadnaught and small body) in a stage five 'teardrop' design.
I ordered one. Hopefully it will get here soon. Thanks for the tip.

Bill

wiley

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:50 pm

That's great Bill, now with your case, my suitcase thing and Dan's the trunk ought'a be full!!

You think the plane ride's gonna be the dangerous part, you must not never seen a Texan driving the North Cali roads!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic