IGC - Things To Bring

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
auntlynnie

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks to BobR and Neil for the clarification on the linens, etc.

..... if only I would read instructions thoroughly!

Lynn

TGNeil

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:30 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Thanks to BobR and Neil for the clarification on the linens, etc.

..... if only I would read instructions thoroughly!

Lynn
Maybe we can get the Quaker Center to refund you $8 for last year!

Neil

BigBear

Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Will there be a plug in amp there versus the fixed condenser mic we used last year? I know for recording purposes having all the mics go through the same recording equipment is a real plus but having a fixed mic, especially if you aren't familiar with them, has its own set of issues. I'd guess that at least half of the campers have on-board electronics of some sort.

Two more days 'til I get on the Big Bird flying south. Can't wait!!

Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 pm

BigBear wrote:
Will there be a plug in amp there versus the fixed condenser mic we used last year? I know for recording purposes having all the mics go through the same recording equipment is a real plus but having a fixed mic, especially if you aren't familiar with them, has its own set of issues. I'd guess that at least half of the campers have on-board electronics of some sort.

Two more days 'til I get on the Big Bird flying south. Can't wait!!

Cheers! :cheer:
Rick:

I'll be bringing my Fishman Loudbox Mini. Everyone is welcome to give it a go if they wish.

J

dougyoung

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm bringing the PA - same one they used last year, and will have DIs, etc, so you can plug in if you prefer. (A mic almost always sounds best, tho!) It'll be nice to have the fishman available as well.

wiley

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm bringing along a Sennheiser e935 Dynamic Cardiod mic - vocals. I can also throw in a Shure SM57 and/or a Rode M3 (usually instrument mics), but I'm shure (pun intended) Doug has everything we will need. We can mic the Fishman to the mixer also.

I am sure the Fishman has a DI - mix output jack on the back, IOW - direct line out, both channels, post EQ, to mixer channel.

Doug - how about a Yeti Pro (Blue) for discussing recording?

I keep this up I'm gonna run outta room for stupid crap, like clothes, underwear, socks.......

haoli25

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:28 pm

Safe travels to all of the TG Campers. Learn a lot and have fun. I am already looking forward to the post-camp reports. :) :)
(Don't forget to bring batteries, someone will need 'em. Particularly TUNER batteries.)

Bill

wiley

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Kind of went around Rick's question - if memory serves me (which is questionable and becomes more so everyday) Doug brought an Allen & Heath ZED 10 last year - don't recall if it was an FX (onboard effects) or not, really doesn't matter for this question.

Both have channels 3&4 as ready for HiZ - direct connect for guitars, and they also serve as a pre-amp on these same channels. IOW - we can run a designated cable as to which an acoustic guitar (with a pickup - any kind) can be plugged directly into the mixing board.

The board also has several other 'outs' (including USB) and a 'headphone out' jack.

Doug - please correct me if I'm wrong here, I know the newer ones have this - not so sure about the one you have? These things change almost daily.

I do want to clarify the pedals I'm bringing, they are easily bypassed - simply don't push the button IF you plug into the pedal rack, or there can be a cable which doesn't go into the pedal board and goes directly to the mixer or the fishman then the mixer, etc.
The mixer has 4 channels (yea,, yea I know it's called a 10 channel...) that either mics, 1/4" or XLR can be plugged into. The channels not being used can be muted by the simple push (or in this case, twist of a knob) of a button. The pedals will be there for everyone to enjoy and experiment with, optional by all means.

I'll bet half or more of you are going - "yea dummy we know that already......"

I asked Mr. Nachmanoff just what system he had in that Martin of his.....

"Just a Fishman Aura - I like to keep it simple...."

Maybe he's got something there, maybe I need pay heed to his words of wisdom!!

Hope that clarifies Ricks question.

michelew

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just popping in to second Bill's well wishes.

I hope all of you going to the IGC have a wonderful time. Actually I really have no doubt that you will. I'm sure just being together with so many guitarist (so many of whom you know and enjoy sharing your passion with) for the duration of the camp will be a thrill. But I'm sure you'll get a heap of info, experience and advice that will help you to become the musos you want to be.

Make the most of every moment. Be sponges, soak it all up, it's a long time between experiences of this type. If you're feeling a bit hesitant about getting up and playing in front of the mic, but you'd like to, my advice is just breathe and go for it. A supportive audience like that is hard to find.

Have fun. Hopefully those of us who can't make it this time will get to see a bit of the fun we're missing out on.

Cheers

Shel

dougyoung

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:01 pm

My little board is an Allen Heath Zed-FX10. 4 XLR channels + 2 high impedance inputs - works great as a solo performer's board, perhaps a tad light on inputs for larger groups. I usually just use a preamp or DI and use the XLR channels for pickups. Sounds like we'll have a nice assortment of gear to play around with, I'd say bring whatever you'd like, mics, etc. It'll be fun to try a few different things, and people can get some idea of different options. The little Fishman mini's are nice little amps. I'll grab an assortment of vocal mics and instrument mics, some DIs, some preamps. I'm sure we'll have a variety of guitars and pickups as well. Yes, the board has a bunch of different outputs, inserts, etc. Larry stopped by last week to verify that he can get a good line out for recording his videos.

I agree with Dave, the best sounds I've heard have all come from pretty simple setups. Good guitar, good pickup (or mic), and a good PA or Amp, and you're set. The more complex stuff you throw in the middle of that, the more problems you have!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic