IGC 2014 Day 1 Report

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 am

HI Gang,

All went well with everybody's travels Wednesday. It was great to see so many familiar faces from last year and meet a few new ones. We had a great dinner (thanks to Tod) and wandered across the QC to the Redwood Lodge for the evening session. I started with a little info and a few songs, Vanessa joined me and she played through I Can't Tell You Why, and then we opened up the stage for our first open mic session. If bandwith allows I will try to leak a little of that to you but right now it's pretty unlikely.

Almost everybody played a song and frankly I was blown away by what people were doing. A few reached a bit out of their comfort zone and really knocked it out of the park with unexpected tunes, some were very smooth but frequently with a few bumps, but the super supportive audience made for a great time for all.

We wrapped it up a little after 10:00 and started heading back to the Orchard Lodge where everybody was staying and the home of the late-night play alongs. Unbelievably, and reminiscent of last year, it was raining! We haven't seen rain in these parts in many months and are in an extreme drought situation. Many folks thought to wait it out and I got back up on stage with Corina, who sang through Suzanne, in her native language, Dutch. Then Vanessa joined us for some harmonizing on I Can't Help Falling In Love With You.

...note to self- it is a good idea to review chord progressions before starting a live run through cold...

Pretty soon everybody headed back and Dave Nachmanoff showed up. We got him settled in his quarters, caught up with a few Al Stewart/Alan Parsons stories, and went over to the Orchard Lodge to see what was happening.

Vanessa was leading a group of about 15 through song after song. Sandy was on acoustic bass for the first time in her life and pretty soon Dave joined in on the piano for Hotel California, among others. It was a thrill to see the group having such a great time. I gave out about 12:30 and headed for the Haven, TG Central Away. My daughter Rebecca staggered about an hour later saying Dave and a few die-hards were still at it!

As I write this, early Thursday, it is still raining! Gotta love it.

I will try try for a few reports over the next few days.

Wish you were here,

Neil

willem

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 am

That sounds very very good and it is just day one!

Best

Willem

sbutler

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the report Neil. Sounds like the fun is just starting, and I doubt a little rain is going to dampen any spirits.

Oh by the way, did Todd get a couple more coffee makers this year??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Scott

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Anybody play "It Never Rains in southern California...." :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Sounds like the IGC 2014 has kicked off to a great start.

Thanks for posting Neil

Dermot

:ohmy:

michelew

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 pm

WOW! Sounds fantastic!

You're making me want to jump on a plane (after enticing Chris and Willem to do the same).

And GO SANDY!! Woo hoo! That's just too cool.

Thanks for the teaser update Neil. I'm really hoping you can post a few little video snippets of all of that to really knock our socks off.

Thanks

Shel

willem

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 am

No bandwith uh,, is this the US on his best?

jimbo58

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Neil
Thank you for the update on the IGC , I'm sure that for everyone that is not there the curiosity of what is going on there is killing them, as it is for me!

It is times like this for everyone there that create fond memories for the rest of you life, enjoy it.

BobR

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:37 pm

I am sitting at the SF airport after the best guitar experience At IGC. Unfortunately
The camp is over :( but I met the most wonderful and supportive people. It seemed like a big family. It was an experience I will never forget. I am sorry I did not get
To say goodbye to everyone, just know I enjoyed meeting everyone and
Sharing a common bond. I'll miss all of the late nights but I hope to get some
Sleep now :) Hopefully I will get to come again next year.

One of the 3 Bobs and a Robb :)

Thanks everyone !!!

schembre

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I just arrived home after the 7.5 hour drive and echo Bob's remarks 100% (I have to, I'm one of the other Bob's). This year totally met any expectations I had. I wanted to be saturated with performance time, and I was! This year did feel like a family reunion, and the few new faces fit in just fine - I truly enjoyed everyone, and I always try to take away a lesson from everyone at every experience level, and I think I can check that off the list too. Thank you, everyone, for your support and kind words - you guys are definitely part of my guitar family.

In addition to Bill & Ness, how great was it to have Dave and Doug "living" with us for 4 days for 24-hour access?!? (and I mean that literally for Dave).

For those anxous to see what torture Neil put us through; Jason, was kind enough to do cell phone recordings of some of the open mics; probably not the best audio, but here's a link of me playing with Dave Nachmanoff (it blows me away to be able to say that - and always will)

Here's another video of me and my new TG Beatle buddy (Kurt) doing a Beatles/Lennon song.

I lived the dream at 2014 IGC#2 ... but it was also good to get home and hug my wife, pet the dog (and vice-a-versa), but most of all - to be allowed to FLUSH A TOILET!!!!!!

Bob #2!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic