My thoughts on IGC 2014

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
jcrocket

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:57 am

Hey all -

Since Sunday afternoon, when I dropped off Bob and Andy at SF airport and picked up my wife Laura to start our post-camp vacation, she has been subjected to me going on and on about the amazing time I had at IGC 2014. I figure it’s time to give her a break and, instead, try to put some of my thoughts on paper. (Warning: I tend to follow the maxim of why use a few words when many will suffice).

Simply put, IGC 2014 was the most incredible musical experience I have ever had. It would be impossible to overstate the profound effect it had on me, and from the comments, posts and emails I have heard and seen, it appears that my opinion is shared by most, if not all, of the other attendees. While IGC 2013 was informative, entertaining, and enjoyable, IGC 2014 went beyond that, and bordered on life-changing.

I’ll leave it to others to describe the excellent educational sessions (both group and individual) with Doug Young and Dave Nachmanoff, as well as Neil and Vanessa. Suffice it to say that each session was incredibly useful, entertaining and informative. Instead, I prefer to focus on the aspects of camp that, I felt, made it a truly transformational experience.

Having open mic nights on all four nights of the camp was a great idea - and having the final night be reserved for duos or groups was a stroke of genius, in my opinion. What I really liked was that Neil and Vanessa simply informed us that the final night would be for collaborations, and left it at that. Rather than pairing people up or assigning partners, they let the whole thing develop organically, based on shared tastes, preferences, or whatever. I think this led to much more “buy-in” on the part of the participants, and it really showed on that final night. In fact, the time I spent with my band-mates Bill Leeson and Ron Blue planning, practicing and tweaking what started out as a song and turned into a set, was one of my favorite parts of camp. And seeing the development/transformation of my fellow campers over the four nights was both inspirational and humbling.

Also putting IGC 2014 over the top, for me, was the participation of Dave Nachmanoff. The man is a bona fide star in my book, but despite his success, is by far the most down-to-earth, friendly and accessible star that I have ever encountered. Here is a guy that has taken the stage at the Royal Albert Hall in London, standing up on the stage at the Quaker Center doing duets with us campers, making the differences in skill level and experience between he and us largely irrelevant, all in the name of making good music. Getting to play What’s Going On with Dave up on stage Friday night (not to mention the impromptu versions of Thunder Road, Famous Blue Raincoat and Layla while hanging out during the wee hours of Friday morning) was an experience I will always treasure. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

The most difficult thing to put into words about this year’s camp is the feeling of camaraderie and kinship that I had with all of the other campers. To me there were three reasons this closeness developed. First, the attendees are simply a really great group of people, who I feel very fortunate to have been able to spend time with, and who I will look to now as close, life-long friends. Second, there was the “we’re in this together” mindset of the group in dealing with the open mics, with everyone supporting each other and cheering each other on.

The third thing that, in my opinion, engendered such closeness and kinship was the way that Neil and Nani’s family participated in this event - it was almost like we were all being invited into the extended Hogan family. Those of you who weren’t there will have to take my word for it - this is one close, hospitable and very welcoming family, and I am truly honored and grateful to have been able to spend time with them.

My biggest takeaway from camp is that each of us has strengths and weaknesses, and those weaknesses (in my case, my woeful lack of theory knowledge being at the top of the list) are our where our biggest opportunities for improvement lie.

So, as we transition back to the real world, I will fondly play back in my head the many wonderful moments of this camp, and will eagerly await seeing Larry’s IGC 2014 video on the site (please hurry, Larry!) Meanwhile, when I hear the Grateful Dead, I’ll think of Bill; when I hear Jim Croce, I’ll think of Bart; when I hear the Beatles, I’ll think of Bob S.; when I play an F chord, I’ll think of Andy; and when I hear the song Mellow Yellow, I’ll think of indoor plumbing.

Take care all - see you next year!

Jeff

schembre

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

Well said, Jeff, you've captured the experience to a "T" ... and there's no way I'll ever be able to listen to Marvin Gay and not hear you!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks Jeff, a fascinating account of camp.

sandysue

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Jeff

You summed up IGC 2014 beautifully. It was shared vulnerability and camaraderie with some very special wonderful people. Neil, Ness, Doug, and Dave were the consummate teachers who guided us all through a joyful albeit somewhat scary, life altering experience with the utmost professionalism. In other words, I had a wonderful time with some really awesome people and I want to do it all again next year. :)

Sandy

schembre

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:51 pm

sandysue wrote:
Neil, Ness, Doug, and Dave were the consummate teachers who guided us all through a joyful albeit somewhat scary, life altering experience with the utmost professionalism.
AHEM, AHEMMM ... and who showed you how to play bass?! ;-) ... only kidding, Sandy you did great up there; you learned well from the four masters ... and the one bass player.

sandysue

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:15 am

You're so right Bob, how could I possibly forget my Phenomenal bass playing instructor. Those late night jams with great friends, a bottle of wine , and a bass guitar. It doesn't get better than that. :) :P

plantman

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 am

Jeff,
Thanks for posting your summary. Reading it brought back so many fond memories and thoughts which would be impossible for me to adequately write about. Camp hits me at my peak busy season (booking plant orders for sale next spring in your local greenhouses), that when I get back, I jump full speed into work to play catch up and work crazy hours towards the end of this peak (starting to let up a bit now). So, today is the first time I've logged onto the sit to do any review. Just had a chance to watch Lynn's time-lapsed video, which was great, and combined with my memories of camp and relationships developed, just makes me smile at all the fun I had and wonderful experience it was. I still marvel at your (and Dave's) rendition of 'What's going on'. Camp, for me pointed out, that I need to structure some type of routine for practice, and have a plan and or goals for building my skills.
The weekend after returning from camp, I hosted a house concert with Dave Nachmanoff. It was fun to introduce my neighbors and friends to Dave's music and even more fun having just spent guitar camp together. No videos, I was too busy enjoying the moment! Saw Dave again this past week at a local venue and since my house concert he told me about seeing Dan and Bill during his travels. It's rewarding to think I have folks around the country (world) I can call friends because of guitar camp.
Oh and I guess I am still the "older" man since I haven't yet set up a face book account!
Chan

wrench

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:43 pm

As Chan mentioned, I saw Dave and Al Wednesday night in Fairfield, CT. My wife got meet everyone as well, and got a pretty interesting look on her face when Dave picked us out of the crowd. I don't think she realized how well acquainted Dave got with all the campers. I got to talk to Dave quite a bit, Al a little bit, and I met their bass player, Mike Lindauer. Mike told me that after camp, he went on a trip to Ireland, and traveled with an IGC camper, the identity of whom I will leave up to the camper in question to disclose. Small world, isn't it?

Two subjects Dave brought up to me were just how much fun he had at camp, and just how much he wants to return to camp. He seemed pretty sincere about all that.

Like Chan, I returned from camp into my busy season at work, so I am working quite hard for crazy long hours, but I must say, I have never been more inspired or entusiastic about music. IGC 2014 was really beyond words.

Since I'm writing, I've had this nagging question in my head. Which songs from camp can't you get out of your heads? For me:

Papa's Guitar by the Hogan Family
Autumn Leaves by Corina and Dave in a sidebar session
Pocahontas by Breakout Jason
People are Crazy by Jason and Wiley
Playin' In The Dark by Everybody
the private version of Amazing Grace by Robb (flawless and beautiful)
What's Goin' On by Jeff
The Man's Too Strong by Jeff
Impossible Germany by Chan and John (John said I would like this - he was right)
Sandy's singing debut because it went great
Makin' Whoopee by Lynn
The Grateful Dead session by Bill
Bart's Ode to the Fly
Everything Doug played
Everything Dave played
Everything Else by Everybody
All Scrums, especially after libations

Now that I started this, I'll be back with updates, if you guys don't beat me to it.

auntlynnie

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 am

That's really cool, Dan. Having a performer recognize you is a memorable moment!

I love your list of songs. One of the performances I'd add to the list is the Three Bobs and a Rob playing Heart of Gold, and just about everyone in the audience singing along.

BTW we saw Dave Nachmanoff a few days after the CT concert and he mentioned seeing you.

Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic