Flight-Details/Flying with Guitar/General Questions IGC 2015

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNesh

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:00 am

Hey guys and gals!

We're only a líttle over 4 months away from IGC 2015, so I thought I'd open a thread in which we can all maybe organize one thing or the other, in particular the 'getting to camp'-details.

Some fly into SF and others SJ, some rent a car and others would love a ride along.

So, feel free to post your flight-details in here in order to hook up with anyone close to your arrangements. (If you want to pm each other, that's of course cool too, if it works that is.)

Also, other questions related to IGC 2015 can be posted in here.

It'll be September before we know it! ;)

TGNess

Music Junkie

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:20 am

Ness:

I've already put this out there in the other thread, but just to cover this one....

I'll be driving up from Ventura, and I have to pass right by the San Jose airport. I will have room for two or three passengers and their luggage/gear, so I'll help out however I can. :)

Jason

TGNesh

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks Jason! Indeed, just trying to keep things a bit organized, both on the forum as well as getting everyone to camp. :)

Music Junkie wrote:
Ness:

I've already put this out there in the other thread, but just to cover this one....

I'll be driving up from Ventura, and I have to pass right by the San Jose airport. I will have room for two or three passengers and their luggage/gear, so I'll help out however I can. :)

Jason

ckdavis73

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:19 am

Hi everyone. Looking forward to IGC and meeting everyone since this is my first camp. I have a general question. What is the best way to fly with one's guitar? I get conflicting information regarding ability to carry on or having to check, etc. I have a hard case so maybe it's safe to check but I'd love to carry on if possible. I'll be flying Southwest if that matters. Their website is not terribly clear about it.
Thanks!

Chris

TGNesh

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Chris,

You're definitely not the only one wondering about this issue. There have been a couple of threads prior to the previous camps about that same question, you might want to check it out.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... tml#112558

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... uitar.html

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... uitar.html

Hope you'll find some good info there.

Ness

ckdavis73 wrote:
Hi everyone. Looking forward to IGC and meeting everyone since this is my first camp. I have a general question. What is the best way to fly with one's guitar? I get conflicting information regarding ability to carry on or having to check, etc. I have a hard case so maybe it's safe to check but I'd love to carry on if possible. I'll be flying Southwest if that matters. Their website is not terribly clear about it.
Thanks!

Chris

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:07 am

My suggestion Chris, is to fly via Zürich.... :laugh: Swiss Airlines explicitly allow you to take your guitar on board. I did in an Aligator gigbag to Canada last summer, no problem.So, if I can come, I am sorted! But the if is a big if, unfortunately. :dry:

Chris

TGNesh

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:47 am

So there might be a chance Chris??????!!!! :ohmy:

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My suggestion Chris, is to fly via Zürich.... :laugh: Swiss Airlines explicitly allow you to take your guitar on board. I did in an Aligator gigbag to Canada last summer, no problem.So, if I can come, I am sorted! But the if is a big if, unfortunately. :dry:

Chris

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 am

A very outside chance....

TGVanessa wrote:

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Chris

crieniecat

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:07 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
A very outside chance....

TGVanessa wrote:

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Chris

Chris... :(

leeson

Mon May 04, 2015 7:50 am

Chris,

Though, sadly, I won't be making IGC this year I went last year. My biggest concern leading up to the camp was flying with my guitar. In hindsight, there was little reason for concern. The federal law recently changed so all airlines are supposed to let you take on your guitar if there is room, so it should be more consistent now. I flew Southwest and it was a breeze. Be sure you pay the extra to get an A boarding pass and you will have no problem. There is plenty of room in the overhead bin and no one even batted an eye. The guitar started lots of fun conversations though. Have fun.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic