Homework for IGC 2015?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
vzg14

Thu May 07, 2015 10:04 pm

B) I'm going to be a first-timer at IGC this year and I understand that there will be a lot of Open Mic time. OK, that means that I'll need to start learning some songs to put in my back pocket right? So how many songs should I prepare for?

-Victor

Music Junkie

Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Victor:

Last year we had an open mic each night. Some folks performed at each one (sometimes more than once), others performed less. I get quite nervous, so I only got up twice. Once as a solo, and once on the night we did duo's / groups. I would recommend having at least two or three that you are good with. More would not hurt a bit. It really depends on your comfort level. Plus, if you are working on something and you are not overly sure of it, you can get some help during the day. If you only have one, that will be fine too. You will get encouragement, but you won't get badgered.

Overall, I feel that you will find the attendees to be supportive and encouraging. The best advice I can give you is to just have fun and enjoy it. Even if it is your first time, you are already showing up with something in common with everyone else! The love of guitar and music. B)

See you in a few months.

Jason

TGNesh

Fri May 08, 2015 2:31 am

Hi Victor,

Great question and you already got a great answer too. It pretty much sums it up.

Like Jason mentioned, the last evening will be centered around group performances, so it'll give you a couple of days to team up with somebody (or more) else. And yes, personally I'll be at everyone's assistance to get their acts together, and also for anything else for that matter.

There will very likely be another evening (or two) in which you can perform a song along with Dave Nachmanoff, who will accompany everyone there on the spot. It doesn't matter at all which song it is, he'll play along with you as if he hasn't done anything else ;). Well if you're tuned to Double Drop Db, he doesn't mind that information. :laugh:

So indeed, having a couple of songs in your back pocket would be great! :)

Ness

vzg14

Fri May 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Jason and Vanessa (and Neil through the Weekly Wrap-Up),

Thanks for your replies. I think I've got a few songs in my back pocket that I'd like to pull out and brush off for camp. Luckily, I've got the summer to clean them up, but maybe I may take your advice and work on something new and see how far I get by camp time. I don't necessarily have any fears of playing in front of people, but I usually find it interesting that when it comes to performance time, the songs sometimes don't come out as well as when I practice them. Maybe more time "on stage" will cure it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to camp. See you all there.

Thanks,
-Victor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic