IGC For Beginners?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Gang,

I got an interesting question the other day that I thought I'd let everybody weigh in on. Thoughts from the TG Community?

Neil,

I have to be honest. With everything I have seen and read so far, I think I
am in way over my head by attempting to attend IGC this year. I am really a
beginner and don't really have any songs as yet that I can play all the way
through. I've not had any lessons and anything I have learned I have picked
up from a DVD or online video.

Of course I know I would be an abundance of opportunity to learn and that I
would benefit. But I'm wondering if it would be better for me to wait
another year?

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I can completely understand being unsure about attending the IGC. The first year I went, I knew I was in over my head. I could strum through a few songs, but I still needed to have the music/lyrics in front of me (still do on a lot of songs). I also figured I would embarrass myself, or would not be good enough to play with anyone. I was completely terrified at the aspect of getting up in front of others to play (still am). In fact, I did not get up the first year. A fact that I made my peace with, but kind of regretted later.

After that first year, I came home with a whole new outlook, and some great new friends. I can honestly tell anyone that the folks who attend this camp (instructors and fellow campers) are wonderful and encouraging. The jam sessions and general hang out times were the best I have ever had with the guitar. It was really the first time I had gotten to play with others. Once you get that first song or two under your belt, you will relax and just enjoy it. The more advanced players that have been there so far have been extremely generous in helping out and giving advice. It really was/is a great opportunity to push yourself a little bit in a comfortable setting. If you do not want to play on an open mic night, you don't have to. However, I think most people want to be able to do it, and this is probably the best place to do so.

I think Wiley said it best in an answer to another thread. Someone had expressed some concern about not being good enough, and he replied ""Good Enough" is not applicable!!"..... B)

It's o.k. to be nervous, but don't let it hold you back from a great time. You will love it.

Jason

BobR

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:17 pm

I totally agree with Jason. Last year was my first IGC and I can say it was one of the best guitar experiences I have had. Everyone is so encouraging and supportive no matter what level you might be. I second Wiley's Comment Good enough is not applicable :)

Bob

wiley

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm no where near an 'accomplished' player, no here near where I want to be. I study too much and play (the guitar) too little.

I can spout off some of the stuff about physics and "String Theory" and love it. It's a part of me, a big chunk of who I am. As is that stupid box with strings across it, many a time there has been I wanted to see just how long that box could float in the pool. Or how far I could toss it down the driveway, or see just how good a sled it would make for the youngest Grand kid. Or even, the eldest.

I can say this, TG and the IGC have been a cross roads. First song, first open mic I made it half through, sure I'd played the damn thing several hundred thousand times. I was OK until I hit the lyric "One Legged Dog" and just went blank. One legged dog? Really? Yep, right words, yet.....

Watching Sandy play the song she did, scared to death Sandy who never realized she was one of our heroes. Still is. Then what she did last year, hell, we couldn't get her away from the stage! And her playing that Bass - priceless.

And Dan, frustrated with himself, and then doing something so few have the courage to do, get back up there and go at it again.

Last year, I opened the open mics with an instrumental I had written and all the world stood still. Only for a couple of moments, but it was there. That satisfaction of defeating something, just a bit of it maybe, but one step at a time.

And then I achieved the goal I had sat, or half of it anyways - I got Jason up there, scared stiff, last minute jitters, grabbing Ness for a shakedown moments before - "OK Ness, like...like...Jason puts his capo where and I put mine where? You sure, you real sure - OK - if you say so".

To say "Unforgettable" is cheating the experience, for both of us and hopefully for everyone else. This year Jason - when you write the song out - PLEASE make the words BIGGER!!

IGC is a beginning for most, a 'renewal' for those of us who have been there before. Couple guys now gig regularly, one has even gone on to teach. All of us have taken more than we have given, and one whole hell of a lot is given.

To me, just sitting there in that front row last year, watching Neil play while his daughter danced to a song he wrote when and for his Father-in-Law having passed was worth not only every penny, money has no value when it comes to times like these, but every scary thought and tremor I had flew away. That few minutes was the most intense, most organic, most beautiful moment outside of the arms of my wife and the beauty of my Kids, Grandkids and Family I have ever spent. And I have been so fortunate to have, in my life, many a beautiful experience.

So - "Good Enough" - give me a break dude - really?

wiley

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Short Answer -

NO

familyman4

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 am

Go if you can find a way. It will be one of the best things you will remember about the year 2015. Guaranteed!

Be sure and remember that next year, you will be the one encouraging others to take the same step because the experience is fabulous, the food will be wonderful and the new friends you make during the camp will always be there to help you if / when you get stuck on a song.

Bart

TGNesh

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 am

Whoever raised this question (I hope you check the forum too)......I'd say, you're not way in over your head, you're actually exáctly at the right place!

As a member of the instructors-staff, one of my personal goals regarding IGC, is to make sure that everyone is feeling welcome and comfortable. To be available, coach and teach in every way at every time possible, mentally as well as musically.

If you're a beginner, perfect, you'll learn heaps and will have the time of your life! :)

I sure hope to meet up in September!

Vanessa

TGNesh

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:33 am

You two were priceless, as well on stage as well as prior to that, the shakedown moments 'where should I put the capo then?' :laugh: :laugh: :P

wiley wrote:

And then I achieved the goal I had sat, or half of it anyways - I got Jason up there, scared stiff, last minute jitters, grabbing Ness for a shakedown moments before - "OK Ness, like...like...Jason puts his capo where and I put mine where? You sure, you real sure - OK - if you say so".

leeson

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Last year was my first IGC and I wondered if I would fit in as well. Just remember that you will always (hopefully) be better next year than you are now so you can always put it off. I would argue you will be much better next year if you go to IGC. Need I say more?
There will be a wide range of skills in the group so just embrace where you are, relax, have a good time and learn a lot. Remember, this is not for anyone but you. Go for it.
Though I won't be able to attend this year (I am spending all my money to go see the remains of the Dead in Chicago) :woohoo: , I am sure last year was not my last IGC.

Bill

jcrocket

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Having attended IGC 2013 and 2014, one of my favorite aspects of both was how truly unimportant each attendee's relative level of experience, skill or confidence was. I'd say that anyone who attends can count on one thing: no matter where you are as a guitar player when you get there, you will be much further along when you leave - and will have a great time and make some great friends in the process.

I'm sure there's a lot of video that Larry captured last year that would illustrate this much better than any of our words ever could (hint, hint).

Jeff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic