IGC For Beginners?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
sandysue

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:26 pm

I agree with what everyone has said so far. IGC is a great opportunity for every guitar player regardless of your skill level.

Wiley was right, I am always terrified to play my guitar at open mic, but I've learned that you don't actually die if you forget what you were suppose to be playing halfway through the song, and if you get up there enough you will get better at it. Also, you can always take your sheet music up there with you for support, and play and sing a simple 2 chord song if need be. My favorite part of open mic was getting to play along with Dave Nachmanoff, and also with some wonderful friends that I met at camp. What a fantastic experience.

Really wonderful, kind, supportive, and fun people come to this camp. Everyone wants to see each other succeed and have a great time, and also learn something while we are there.

Our instructors at IGC are all stellar musicians, and you will have the time of your life while you are there. And by next year you'll be trying to figure out how to be part of the next IGC adventure. :-)

Sandy

wrench

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Everything written so far is true. I was there. Even more true is that every person posting thus far could write for hours on end about the IGC experience.

So, here's my philosophical contribution: If you're NOT in over your head, what's the point in going? Why make the trip to do what you already can? The fact is the more you're challenged at camp, the more you can potentially gain from the experience. Just do it. It is highly unlikely you'll have any regrets. By the way, it's not just about guitar; it's about performing, and it's about candid access to professionals; and it's about comradery. It's about a lot of stuff you will never encounter otherwise in the life of a bedroom rocker.

Neil, that was sooooo unfair to turn us loose on this guy. You should feel bad about it for a minute or so.

Dan

TGNeil

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 pm

wrench wrote:
Everything written so far is true. I was there...
Neil, that was sooooo unfair to turn us loose on this guy. You should feel bad about it for a minute or so.

Dan
Hey Dan,

Unfair? Maybe I was just feeling a little insecure and needed a little love... nah, probably not that.

But I do have to relay a true story from this morning. Our loveable Fly On The Wall star Matt F was in for his second lesson of the year and when I brought up the idea of him coming to IGC and he said something along the line of "no way am I good enough for that." I made him read the whole thread up to that point, probably everything before Bill Leeson's post, and he blurted out, "That's me! I'm that guy."

I'm pretty sure we will at least get a couple cameos from Matt F this year.

I also got a response from the guy who first posed the question along the lines of, "That is awesome. Thanks so much for putting that out there."

Neil

crieniecat

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:16 am

I can only support what others have said about IGC thus far...
Getting to know all these supportive and probably, just as anxious to learn but insecure about being " good enough" people, is an experience you won't forget.
For a few days time will stand still and you'll be held in a comfortable blanket of laughter, friendship and support.
And that moment when time catches up to you, you won't even know what hit you...

Do yourself (and all of us too) a favor, take a deep breath, take a jump and I dare you to keep your eyes open while jumping.

In the end you'll have learned more from the ride itself, than from the final result...
See you there! :-)

vzg14

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 am

Boy, September can't come soon enough...

For me, I'll be a first time IGCer, and what helped me with my comfort level was watching all of the Open Mic videos from IGC 2013 and the compilation videos from IGC 2014. Many of the performances weren't perfect (which is right in my wheelhouse :laugh: ), but you can certainly sense the support and the comradery among those who attended. I'm looking forward to learning new things, getting to know folks with the same guitar passion that I have, and having a great time.

It certainly can be overwhelming to walk into a situation not knowing anyone else there. Hopefully whoever that was who asked the question originally can make it. I'd probably be looking for a fellow newbie-buddy myself.

Thanks,
-Victor

wiley

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 am

It's 'family' brother, ain't no "Newbie" thing.

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:08 am

We all show up with something in common, and the guitar can be a great ice breaker. Once you get there, you will see that we are all just trying to have a good time, learn something new, and get to know some great folks. Plus, Neil and the team really go out of their way to make it a very comfortable environment.

Jason

tjwatson10167

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:13 am

I would suggest you go for it. Learning good habits from the beginning can only help. This will be my first time to IGC. I have a bit of anxiety....but I think this is a great avenue to learn and enjoy the guitar more.....no matter your skill level. I wish I would have done something like this earlier in my guitar playing.

Everything I've read and seen, sounds like this is the place to be. Great supportive people....who will likely become great friends.

Ted

silvereagles

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:40 pm

So here is my .02 cent...

First off, last year was my first camp, at this point I really don't think it's a camp, maybe the first year was a camp but after that I would say it's a reunion of friends. There is a core group that is led by everyone involved from Neil and his Family, the Instructors, to the students that started the first year and bloomed into a full blown extended family by the end of the second year. It was amazing to watch and be part of. It's a very special group that formed this and they are open to anyone that is willing to jump in, open up and give it their all.

It should be called the international guitar reunion because I could tell you till I'm blue in the face that everything about it was so amazing and words just don't do it justice. You have to be there and live it to know what great support and encouragement you can get from people you don't know now but in a couple months will be your friend and would be there for you whenever you need them, heck they would be there now for you all you would have to do its ask we are there for you...

As you move through your guitar learning you will find out how supportive, kind, understanding, and most of all helpful people are (not just here). Everyone wants you to succeed, enjoy playing but most of all have fun doing it. that's what playing the guitar is about having fun!!!!!!

Not to harsh but if you have the means to go and want to be a better guitar player then when you get there, then go , if not your losing out a a great opportunity and hopefully you get the nerve someday because I can say whole heartedly you really don't know what you missing...

Goodluck, I hope you find the courage to go!!!!!!

I completely agree with what everyone else said

Dennis

watch Neil And Corina's video after last year.....

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 26th-2014/

TGNesh

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:54 am

Wow....that's way more than 0.2 cent! :cheer: Beautifully said!

And you sure can tell, since you were one of the few new comers last year. Many thanks Dennis, for sharing your experience for that matter!

Ness

(Edit: I am SO going to miss you this year though.... :( )

silvereagles wrote:
So here is my .02 cent...

First off, last year was my first camp, at this point I really don't think it's a camp, maybe the first year was a camp but after that I would say it's a reunion of friends. There is a core group that is led by everyone involved from Neil and his Family, the Instructors, to the students that started the first year and bloomed into a full blown extended family by the end of the second year. It was amazing to watch and be part of. It's a very special group that formed this and they are open to anyone that is willing to jump in, open up and give it their all.

It should be called the international guitar reunion because I could tell you till I'm blue in the face that everything about it was so amazing and words just don't do it justice. You have to be there and live it to know what great support and encouragement you can get from people you don't know now but in a couple months will be your friend and would be there for you whenever you need them, heck they would be there now for you all you would have to do its ask we are there for you...

As you move through your guitar learning you will find out how supportive, kind, understanding, and most of all helpful people are (not just here). Everyone wants you to succeed, enjoy playing but most of all have fun doing it. that's what playing the guitar is about having fun!!!!!!

Not to harsh but if you have the means to go and want to be a better guitar player then when you get there, then go , if not your losing out a a great opportunity and hopefully you get the nerve someday because I can say whole heartedly you really don't know what you missing...

Goodluck, I hope you find the courage to go!!!!!!

I completely agree with what everyone else said

Dennis

watch Neil And Corina's video after last year.....

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 26th-2014/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic