Is This a Valid Strategy for Camp?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
Music Junkie

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 am

Dan:

That was a cool video.

I am hoping to get together with a customer of mine, who plays guitar. He used to play with his son all the time, but his son left for college. One of my foremen let him know that I played guitar, so he called me up and invited me to join him sometimes. I am hoping to do that in the next week. I am nervous about it, but I have to start somewhere. Maybe if I can relax enough to play around him, it will help to relax me a bit more in other situations. Hell, I get nervous playing in my own home when my wife stops what she's doing to listen to me. :P

I usually screw up as soon as I notice her watching me. What gives? However, there have been times when I'll be playing, and she will start humming or singing along, and that is actually helpful. Maybe I should invest in a psychiatrist... :silly:

For me, I think simple is much better though.

dennisg

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 am

Dan,

Much congratulations on your progress. Playing at camp, in front of a room full of guitarists, can be really daunting, so I have nothing but admiration that you've been working on overcoming the fear.

I've been playing a lot of open mics lately, and I've found three things that have helped me immensely:

1. Know that it's unlikely you'll be as polished in front of an audience as you are at home on your sofa. So if you're struggling with a song at home, there's a good chance that a few dozen sets of eyes and the sound of ocean waves in your head are going to do nothing to improve your confidence and focus. So pick a song that you can whack out of the park easily. And then keep working on the more difficult songs until they, too, become second nature.

2. Slow down. Stand in front of an audience, and your adrenal gland is going to be pumping buckets of fluid through your veins. That's going to do nothing but make you play faster than you normally would, making your task even more difficult. Try to consciously slow everything down about 15 percent; in doing so, you'll likely be playing at a normal speed, but it'll feel easier. And just knowing that you're going to play slower than your adrenalized brain is urging you to will actually have a calming effect and build your confidence.

3. Focus, focus, focus. Don't think about that guy's comb-over. Or that lady's cleavage. Or how you'll probably screw up. Picture the song on a page of white paper. See the chords. Look at the lyrics. Then ... just read. If you can do that, then all the odd noises and potential distractions that naturally occur during live performances can just go by without you even noticing. At my first public performance, I came completely unglued by the steam jet of an espresso machine. But now, since I'm less likely to be hysterical with terror and more able to focus, that kind of background noise doesn't faze me at all. I say ... bring on the espresso! And the cleavages!

wrench

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:43 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Dan:

That was a cool video.

I am hoping to get together with a customer of mine, who plays guitar. He used to play with his son all the time, but his son left for college. One of my foremen let him know that I played guitar, so he called me up and invited me to join him sometimes. I am hoping to do that in the next week. I am nervous about it, but I have to start somewhere. Maybe if I can relax enough to play around him, it will help to relax me a bit more in other situations. Hell, I get nervous playing in my own home when my wife stops what she's doing to listen to me. :P

I usually screw up as soon as I notice her watching me. What gives? However, there have been times when I'll be playing, and she will start humming or singing along, and that is actually helpful. Maybe I should invest in a psychiatrist... :silly:

Jason, it might be perspective that tricks the brain. Those of us with performance issues are not trying to do something we can't; we're trying to do something we can, but the brain, perhaps as a defense mechanism, and using low confidence as a signal, tries to prevent performing at all as a means to prevent the simple mistake we are so afraid of. I think this manifests as buckets of adrenaline as Dennis noted, all the way up to focal dystonia. I experienced both of those at IGC. And it seems that once you break the barrier, you're OK.

Playing with your customer can be a watershed moment for you. Play your guitar around him; don't perform for him. Play your easier stuff. Relax. If you feel an adrenaline surge, don't play until it passes. By the way, I no longer get them. The gateway is to start easy on the difficulty scale and slow on the tempo. Lucky Man at 80 bpm. After you nail that, it seems easy to move up the scale.

Look forward to the session. There is absolutely nothing to lose. there is no penalty for a flub. There is no consequence to a simple mistake. It's OK and laughable if you do. And if you still need a psych consult, I still recommend Dr. Tequila. :laugh:

Here's a last thought. As I entered a brief career in professional bowling three and a half decades ago, the only person I had difficulty beating was myself, but when overcame that, well, it was bad for everyone else. For the six years I have been playing guitar, that pivotal moment has eluded me until recently. I am now pretty sure it really is all in one's head.

davidrfinn99165

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Phew, I'm glad we had last week's thread telling the camp newbies (beginners, sorry) to chill out and relax.

I'm starting on the tequila now...

wrench

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 pm

dennisg wrote:
Dan,

Much congratulations on your progress. Playing at camp, in front of a room full of guitarists, can be really daunting, so I have nothing but admiration that you've been working on overcoming the fear.

I've been playing a lot of open mics lately, and I've found three things that have helped me immensely:

1. Know that it's unlikely you'll be as polished in front of an audience as you are at home on your sofa. So if you're struggling with a song at home, there's a good chance that a few dozen sets of eyes and the sound of ocean waves in your head are going to do nothing to improve your confidence and focus. So pick a song that you can whack out of the park easily. And then keep working on the more difficult songs until they, too, become second nature.

2. Slow down. Stand in front of an audience, and your adrenal gland is going to be pumping buckets of fluid through your veins. That's going to do nothing but make you play faster than you normally would, making your task even more difficult. Try to consciously slow everything down about 15 percent; in doing so, you'll likely be playing at a normal speed, but it'll feel easier. And just knowing that you're going to play slower than your adrenalized brain is urging you to will actually have a calming effect and build your confidence.

3. Focus, focus, focus. Don't think about that guy's comb-over. Or that lady's cleavage. Or how you'll probably screw up. Picture the song on a page of white paper. See the chords. Look at the lyrics. Then ... just read. If you can do that, then all the odd noises and potential distractions that naturally occur during live performances can just go by without you even noticing. At my first public performance, I came completely unglued by the steam jet of an espresso machine. But now, since I'm less likely to be hysterical with terror and more able to focus, that kind of background noise doesn't faze me at all. I say ... bring on the espresso! And the cleavages!
Dennis,

It is great to see you on the TG forum again, and thanks for some valuable comments. Good points all. I know you have successful public experience, and there truly is no substitute for experience.

Your first point about the degree of difficulty of your selection is spot on, and why I chose to create a set list of songs I already learned. The (re)learning curve was fast, and the expectation of success very high. It is this group of songs that I brought into public play with no anxiety and no expectation of failure.

The second point regarding tempo, also spot on. A different metronome scheme is helping me there. I don't use a metronome to play along with songs I am practicing. I drill just the right hand with the metronome a few minutes before I play songs, and it has really increased my control of tempo. Regardless of my emotional state and adrenaline level, I am in better control of tempo.

The third point I also cannot agree with more. But cleavage? Hey, it's cleavage. There is no down side to cleavage; the comb-over, sure, but not the cleavage. :laugh:

A final thought. The first part of your first point about public performance tending to be of lesser quality than playing at home, is something I've heard many times, and indeed would be a normal and acceptable outcome, but this is not what I am experiencing. I think I'm playing my best in public right now. At the music store thing last week, the resident instructor noticed I was playing mostly with a pick, and informed me I surely needed lessons to fingerpick. He asked if I can play anything with fingers. My nails happened to be in decent shape, so I played the classical section of The Sage like I never ever played it before, and I haven't been able to play it like that since (at home). So what I'm seeing in public playing is better expression through control of timing, better precision in fingerings, very few mistakes, and better recovery when I do make mistake.

Dennis, thanks again for commenting. I'm looking forward to more of your input and performances on the forum.

wrench

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:26 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
Phew, I'm glad we had last week's thread telling the camp newbies (beginners, sorry) to chill out and relax.

Yeah, now you're catching on. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, though, camp is more fun than you can imagine. The only disappointment I came away with was in myself.

Something worth noting here, is just how dramatically improved at performing the campers were last year over the first year. You'll see. It's going to be tremendous fun, and very enriching to your musicianship.

sandysue

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Dan:

That was a cool video.

You're funny Jason. I have that same performance anxiety when I play guitar for anyone. I usually shake all over like a terrified chihuahua in the vets office, at open mic. It's not easy to play guitar with shakey fingers and memory lapse. :)

Sandy

Music Junkie

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:00 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:

It going to be great, so glad you decided to jump in. Showing up to a new place with new people can be daunting, but having something in common right from the start is such an amazing ice breaker. Plus, as the IGC gets closer, there will be new threads starting up on various topics from what to bring, catching rides with others, songs and artists, you'll start to feel like a big part of it before you get there. Then getting to put faces to the names is a really neat experience.

Can't wait to see everyone again, and meet the new folks!

J

davidrfinn99165

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm really looking forward to it.

A thread on what to pack.?? I'm packing -
1 x guitar
2 x capo
6 x picks
3 x new sets of strings
1 x toothbrush/toothpaste
4 x clean smalls
6 x bottles of red wine

Am i missing anything?? Is that enough wine???

wiley

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic