Songs For Big Groups?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi Gang,

I know we have made noise about recommending songs that IGCers might want to be a little familiar with before camp. I keep coming up with the same old stuff, Neil Young, Beatles, America, Bob Seger, Eagles, CCR, etc. Then I have trouble trimming that down to something manageable. I was shooting for maybe 10 easy songs, along the lines of Brown Eyed Girl, 10 more challenging ones like Sister Golden Hair, and a few jams for playing lead like Cowgirl In The Sand or Stormy Monday.

It would be great to have some suggestions from the TG Community so I would like to open this up to the great minds out there. Let's have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Neil

Max

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:12 pm

I think this would be great for an easy to play large get together.
especially if someone can play banjo, fiddle or slide guitar and bass.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... tar-lesson

BigBear

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Neil- Hotel California would seem to be a natural since your lesson is in multi-guitar parts. Some players use capos, others play the 12-string parts. It would be a blast. And don't forget rounds like Peter, Paul and Mary played. A great challenge after a few drinks is to see how many people can play the same song capo'd at different frets. Maybe establish an IGC standard to be challenged the following year.

I took a class called "Playing Well With Others" at a local guitar shop school. We had to learn to play quietly and let others "step out" and not bang away like everyone else.. And we had to play an occasional lead. It was great and would work well in groups. Plus we had to use open chords, barred chords, power chords and alternate chords to generate some excitement.

The biggest challenge for many of us is the better players ALWAYS take the lead and everyone else follows in. If you do that, the better players need to describe what they going to play and how ie "I'll play the intro, then you guys come in for two verses, a chorus two more verses and then a couple of lead breaks...". If you want to lead have a plan. Just banging away doesn't get it.

And they taught us using body language to signal when to take a lead or when to end the song. It was very helpful!!

All the best to you all!!

daryl

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Well there's a slew of I vi IV V songs you could string together. I'm sure Vanessa could easily come up with a dozen songs to sing. And you could play in various capo position (like Bear suggested)

And there always Johnny B. Goode, Blue Suede Shoes, Long Tall Sally, Good Golly Miss Molly, etc. to jam all night too. Again Vanessa could sing for hours there! Be sure to have a bass player.

daryl

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am

I don't know what you have for Beatle songs but, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" would be a good one (IMHO). And for a rocker, "I Saw Her Standing There" would be fun (especially if Vanessa brings her bass guitar).

TGNesh

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 pm

All great suggestions Daryl, thanks! And yes, I have quite a few on my list, we should be good to go. :)

And yeah, a bass would be awesome, although last year I loved to play Bart's cajon, that was much fun too! :cheer:

Also, Wagon Wheel, fantastic song Max, much much fun!

TGNesh

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:09 pm

After playing a LOT with other people throughout life, I've got some strong opinions on 'playing with others' (it's not that I always express them though ;) ) But yeah, those are great points Bear!

Will sure miss you this year.... :( :kiss:

BigBear wrote:
Neil- Hotel California would seem to be a natural since your lesson is in multi-guitar parts. Some players use capos, others play the 12-string parts. It would be a blast. And don't forget rounds like Peter, Paul and Mary played. A great challenge after a few drinks is to see how many people can play the same song capo'd at different frets. Maybe establish an IGC standard to be challenged the following year.

I took a class called "Playing Well With Others" at a local guitar shop school. We had to learn to play quietly and let others "step out" and not bang away like everyone else.. And we had to play an occasional lead. It was great and would work well in groups. Plus we had to use open chords, barred chords, power chords and alternate chords to generate some excitement.

The biggest challenge for many of us is the better players ALWAYS take the lead and everyone else follows in. If you do that, the better players need to describe what they going to play and how ie "I'll play the intro, then you guys come in for two verses, a chorus two more verses and then a couple of lead breaks...". If you want to lead have a plan. Just banging away doesn't get it.

And they taught us using body language to signal when to take a lead or when to end the song. It was very helpful!!

All the best to you all!!

wiley

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:11 pm

One question, are the projectors we had last year available, if not, let me know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic