IGC 2015 Saturday Night - Killing Me Softly, Superstar and This Masquerade

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
michelew

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 pm

I watched this on my way home from work yesterday. I enjoyed it so much I found myself extending my journey so I could finish it.

All three pieces sounded great; which we've come to expect from these four top notch musos. Corina - my gosh woman that's an amazing gift you have there. Have you ever sung professionally?

Of course Neil and Dave played wonderfully.

One of the things that struck me was just how versatile Ness is too. It looked as if the performance arrangement was being changed on the spot. Ness being the professional she is just went "no problems, what role do you want be to play?" And then delivered just what was needed; and beautifully, while smiling throughout. You need talent, patience, an ability to go with the flow and lots of experience to achieve that without getting a little stressed out. Awesome!

crieniecat

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Chris Thank you so much! Lovely to hear we brought some Summer Sun to Switzerland B)
It's a big compliment coming from a very talented singer himself :) :kiss:

Michele No I've never sang professionally. It's all self taught, just singing along with the radio and stretching these vocal chords :lol:
Feeling pretty uncomfortable on stage. Still need lot's of training to have me feeling relaxed when in the spotlights ;) :kiss:

TGNesh

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Many thanks Chris!

Yes, those cold dark November Rain days/nights could use some warmth. :S Very pleased to hear that that we could provide some! :)

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That was wonderful guys and girls, first class and soooo easy to listen to on a cold, dark November night letting some of the summer sun creep into the room and warm things up nicely....

TGNesh

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:29 pm

You even extended your journey??! :laugh: :cheer: I take it you liked it! :P

Corina and the spotlights.....actually her comment to you made me remember at the time that we were teenagers. Her father owned a club in those days and she lived in an apartment above. So sometimes when the club was empty we went downstairs and used the sound system which had a mic of course to sing and/listen to music. (that was really cool! B) ) At first she actually made me sit all the way across the dance floor on the other side of the place. And then she would turn her back behind the mixer and sing. Well at one point I was allowed to stand next to her or on the dance floor. My oh my, that's how much she loved/loves the spotlights! :laugh: :P

But seriously, she sang gorgeously back then too. :)

I actually very much appreciate your comment about me going with the flow. Like I mentioned to Bill, my father used to say that all the time, complement, complement, any occasion. And just perform and fit in the role you have, no matter if you're in the back, or in front or whatever, complement and make it fit.
But yes, performing at all sorts of occasions, in all kinds of roles, with different instruments, for as long as I have, does make a difference. :) Oh and needing to change on the spot to whatever, haha, I've had my share of unexpected changes for sure :blink: :woohoo: . It's all good, just as long as you keep going and fix it! :laugh: :laugh: It's actually one of the most important abilities any musician should have, which is what I keep telling my students now as well. :)

Thanks so much Shel! :kiss: B)

michelew wrote:
I watched this on my way home from work yesterday. I enjoyed it so much I found myself extending my journey so I could finish it.

All three pieces sounded great; which we've come to expect from these four top notch musos. Corina - my gosh woman that's an amazing gift you have there. Have you ever sung professionally?

Of course Neil and Dave played wonderfully.

One of the things that struck me was just how versatile Ness is too. It looked as if the performance arrangement was being changed on the spot. Ness being the professional she is just went "no problems, what role do you want be to play?" And then delivered just what was needed; and beautifully, while smiling throughout. You need talent, patience, an ability to go with the flow and lots of experience to achieve that without getting a little stressed out. Awesome!

michelew

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:41 pm

That's a great story Ness. :) thanks for sharing it with us.

It sounds like getting comfortable performing in front of an audience really does take time for most people. It's comforting to hear that even someone with such wonderful talents as Corina has had to learn how to handle the pressure of the spotlight through different experiences.

I find the video camera challenging enough. I haven't done much by way of playing to a live audience. That's an area that I'll need to do a lot of work in if I ever want to feel comfortable doing the live performance thing.

Your dad obviously knows what he's talking about too.

Shel

:kiss:

crieniecat

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 am

Yes, I still dont like the spotlights too much ;) Ness did bring back some dusted memories, oefff...
17 years old, living on my own above the club my dad owned, now that gave a lot of opportunities for enjoying music, full blast :lol:
Besides my study during the weekdays, in the weekend I worked at my dad's restaurant in the afternoon and at nighttime I helped out in the club.
That's one of the reasons why I must love music the way I do. I woke up with, and went to bed listening to, all sorts of music :woohoo:

One of the songs I sang when the club was closed (and while still hiding lol) was " left in the dark" - Barbara Steisand, remember Ness?
Of all songs I could choose, I had to empower that one :P :laugh: Oh well...

Sorry guys!!! Memory lane.... B)

Thank you Ness and Shel for your always continuing high praises... it means a lot :blush: :kiss:

TGNesh

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:57 am

Are you seriously asking if I remember that song???! :ohmy: :P

It's attached to the same 'dusted' memories! :laugh: So, yes I very clearly remember. A gorgeous song btw, which i have thought of several times the past year, as in playing it together and/or doing a lesson on it. It's an easy song actually, just a whole lotta instrumentation. :blink:

But yeah, I've always loved the song, dark, but beautiful....

We should try it out. :)

crieniecat wrote:
Yes, I still dont like the spotlights too much ;) Ness did bring back some dusted memories, oefff...
17 years old, living on my own above the club my dad owned, now that gave a lot of opportunities for enjoying music, full blast :lol:
Besides my study during the weekdays, in the weekend I worked at my dad's restaurant in the afternoon and at nighttime I helped out in the club.
That's one of the reasons why I must love music the way I do. I woke up with, and went to bed listening to, all sorts of music :woohoo:

One of the songs I sang when the club was closed (and while still hiding lol) was " left in the dark" - Barbara Steisand, remember Ness?
Of all songs I could choose, I had to empower that one :P :laugh: Oh well...

Sorry guys!!! Memory lane.... B)

Thank you Ness and Shel for your always continuing high praises... it means a lot :blush: :kiss:

crieniecat

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:27 am

What was I thinking Ness eh? Right?! :laugh:
Of course you remember :lol:
That's one of the good things of a long lasting friendship, the things you seem to forget, well.... they won't... :P :laugh:

sandysue

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 pm

very beautiful everyone. It's very relaxing to listen.

Sandy

TGNesh

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 am

Thank you very much Sandy, relaxing is good. :)

sandysue wrote:
very beautiful everyone. It's very relaxing to listen.

Sandy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic