Flight details and Camp Transportation - IGC 2016

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
wiley

Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:17 pm

michelew

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Wiley, great idea to share your knowledge about transporting your guitar safely. Thanks for all the other info too.

I will take my uke on as cabin luggage. But I will be putting my Larrivee steel string in the belly of the aircraft with my suit case. When I travelled to Sesttle in 2014 I used a hiscox flight case and my guitar arrived safe and sound on both legs of the trip. Incidentally it was opened by US customs on both journeys too.

. http://www.hiscoxcases.com/guitar-cases.htm

They are a little pricey as cases go, but well worth the cost for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned. I have the OM Pro2. My guitar fits pretty well, but I also pad it out with extra cotton clothes.

And Wiley - I'd also like to RSVP for the BBQ. It sounds delicious. :) :)

M

wiley

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:58 pm

wrsomers

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:24 pm

michelew wrote:
Wiley, great idea to share your knowledge about transporting your guitar safely. Thanks for all the other info too.

I will take my uke on as cabin luggage. But I will be putting my Larrivee steel string in the belly of the aircraft with my suit case. When I travelled to Sesttle in 2014 I used a hiscox flight case and my guitar arrived safe and sound on both legs of the trip. Incidentally it was opened by US customs on both journeys too.

. http://www.hiscoxcases.com/guitar-cases.htm

They are a little pricey as cases go, but well worth the cost for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned. I have the OM Pro2. My guitar fits pretty well, but I also pad it out with extra cotton clothes.

And Wiley - I'd also like to RSVP for the BBQ. It sounds delicious. :) :)

M
One bit of advice about protecting your guitar when traveling: Remove the strap pin from the lower bout. If you can't do that, make sure you've stuffed extra cushioning at the bottom of the guitar to prevent damage if the baggage handler drops the case on it's end. Shock to that area of the case can cause the strap pin to damage the guitar if the guitar can move inside the case. Putting extra clothes in the gaps inside the case is a great idea. Also extra support should be given to the headstock because it can "whiplash" inside the case and snap the headstock off.

Bill

fjeanmur

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:53 pm

wiley wrote:
[quote]I actually counted the weeks - 26 weeks from today - 6 months.

So, 2 more for the BBQ. Now ladies, and the rest who will be attending the pre-camp BBQ for the first time, this is the real deal, Texas BBQ, Brisket and Pork Ribs done on a huge smoker by a National and World Champion qualifier Pit Master. My Brother-in-Law, Steve.

The Potato Salad is a hand-me down recipe from several generations on Cajun women. Cajun meaning deep Southern Louisiana. Real "Down on the Bayou" women. Unless someone speaks out this year I will make it all, all 10 pounds or more, WITH onion, the white type bulbous onions. If someone doesn't like onion, I am more than happy to make a small batch without. Of course I can only do this with the gracious kitchen help of Nani and the Girls. [v/quote]

Wiley, don't worry about me. I love onion. I can't wait for the BBQ!

wiley

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:30 pm

wiley

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:33 pm

jcrocket

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 pm

I’ll be flying into SFO on Sunday the 28th, and flying out on Saturday the 3rd. I’m planning to rent a car, and will have room if anyone wants to ride along on either or both of those days. Also staying at the Bristol in Campbell the night before and the night after camp.

Wiley, please count me in as well for that Texas BBQ of yours!

As for traveling with the guitar, I have a Hoffee carbon-fiber case. I thought it was a bit of an extravagance when I bought it, but this year’s IGC will be the 6th trip I’ve made with it, so it’s turned out to be a pretty good investment. It’s really too big to fit in most overhead bins, so I usually carry it through security to the gate, where I gate-check it. While it still goes in the cargo hold, it goes on last and comes off first, along with the baby strollers and car seats, and is only handled by one person who carries it about 20 feet down the steps from the jetway to the cargo hatch - far less handling and potential rough treatment than if I checked it as luggage. At my destination, it’s usually waiting for me in the jetway by the time I exit the plane.

The Hoffee case can get pretty heavy lugging it around camp, so this year I’m also bringing a cheap gig bag that I can roll up and stuff into my suitcase.

Jeff

michelew

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:35 am

Wiley - my plans are still in flux - but I'll PM you with the latest fuzzy details. :) yeh I need to get my act together and get some booking done. By the way, I'm good with a knife and I'd be more than happy to help with the food preparation if there's room for another assistant. I'll be in Los Gatos Saturday at the latest. Of course, ... you will need to risk the secret recipe being smuggled out of the country. :) Onion, no onion, it's all good; especially since everyone else is eating it. :)

Bill - thanks for the info. I did most of that when I travelled with my guitar last time; except I didn't remove the lower strap button. I did pad it really well though. I'm a little reluctant to remove it as it has a jack port in it and I'd hate to muck up the pickup electronics. It's probably not an issue of course. I'll read your suggestions again before I pack it.

Jeff - I'm looking forward to meeting you. Yes I booked my guitar into the over-sized luggage gate with the strollers and surfboards. They do seem to take more individual care. But then of course I've never seen them actually handling it. Thanks for the reminder about taking a gig bag too. I'll look into that. The case Hiscox case isn't that heavy in the scheme of things, but I wouldn't want to need to walk too far.

It's happening! Woo hoo!

M

wrsomers

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 am

Bill - thanks for the info. I did most of that when I travelled with my guitar last time; except I didn't remove the lower strap button. I did pad it really well though. I'm a little reluctant to remove it as it has a jack port in it and I'd hate to muck up the pickup electronics. It's probably not an issue of course. I'll read your suggestions again before I pack it.

M
Michele - I would definitely not remove the strap pin from a guitar that has a combo jack/strap pin. Here's a link to my luthier's web site. When you get to his page, select "Luthierie" in the left pane, and then "Shipping an instrument" under "Business Stuff". This info pertains to shipping via UPS etc, but contains a lot of good advice.
Bryan Kimsey
If you're interested in guitar tech, you'll enjoy his web site. He's quite an active and interesting guy.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic