IGC 2016 Questions

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi Gang,

We have recently received a few questions about this year's camp and I thought a new thread might be in order. Here is one that came in that I hope some IGC alumni might weigh in on.

Am interested in finding out more about the camp.

Do you have a notional "what to expect" for any given day? Are the classes broken down by level of experience? Are there theory and hands on classes etc. are the jam sessions/performances scheduled in the evenings?

wiley

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:13 am

wiley

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 pm

wiley

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:05 pm

TGNesh

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:35 pm

That's a great suggestion Wiley!

wiley wrote:
Not a question, a suggestion.....

Since there are so many post on 'theory' how about a session discussing not just the 'technical' aspects as much as 'why'?

Why take time to learn theory,

What can it do to improve my playing,

How important is even a little theory as related to........

And so on, perhaps an open floor type of discussion. Someone ask a question, one of the instructors answers.....

Perhaps we can plan those questions before hand?

auntlynnie

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:40 am

I want to try to answer the question
Do you have a notional "what to expect" for any given day? Are the classes broken down by level of experience? Are there theory and hands on classes etc. are the jam sessions/performances scheduled in the evenings?
because I would definitely want to know what to expect if it were my first camp, too.

There is a schedule for each day - last year there were two classes each morning in the big meeting room/classroom, open to everyone and appropriate for all levels. They offered them sequentially, so you didn't have to make a choice between one or the other. For example the Totally Vocals guy, Jim Bruno, gave a workshop on vocals then Doug Young took us through some open tunings - appropriate for all levels, although I'm sure that some of the more experienced players were able to take it up a notch right away.

Afternoons were given over to more casual workshops (in the grove area) that were offered concurrently, but you could wander from one to another if you wanted. The teachers were Doug, Dave, and maybe someone else, and the subject matter was by request of the group that gathered with either teacher. Afternoons were also when you could take a 15-20 minute lesson from Neil or Vanessa. Other folks were generally allowed to sit in on the lessons (and be an actual Fly on the Wall) but not participate, just watch.

Evenings were given over to performances, beginning with Neil, Vanessa, Doug, Dave, Jim. These were brief sets of about 4-5 songs. The rest of the evening would be taken up with campers' performances - generally one song each. There are solos, duos, trios, and larger groups - that's just something that people begin figuring out as soon as they get to camp.

Oh, we also had mealtime performances, so that we could test the waters a bit, without the pressure of people being focused on us, but hopefully focused on their food. Usually people did 2-3 song sets for this venue.

There is plenty of time for playing music with others, jamming, etc. One of the advantages of the new venue is that the cabins have living rooms, so there's often room to play "at home". And you will see people playing everywhere, anywhere there are chairs or benches.

If you are new to camp, don't worry, you'll only feel "new" for a few minutes. One of the advantages of this guitar camp is that we all kind of know each other to begin with, and we have the same teachers - Neil and Vanessa. So I hope this answers the question a bit.

Here are highlight videos from the previous years.

Lynn

P.S. The Slideshow from 2014 was posted with the following text:

I hope this video gives a sense of what it was like for those who weren't able to be there, and also captures some of the many memories the campers shared together. We were joined by Dave Nachmanoff and Doug Young for most of the time and enjoyed classes and lessons with Neil Hogan and Vanessa Bot as well.
The video ends with a photo that illustrates how we all wanted to stay awake for the late night jams, but sometimes we just couldn't keep our eyes open.

The music is by Doug Young who gave some excellent presentations this year as well as at last year's camp.

IGC 2015 Highlights

IGC 2014 Slideshow

IGC 2014 Highlights

IGC 2013 Highlights

michelew

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks Lynn. That's really useful info.

Absolutely looking forward to it.

See you then.

Michele.

auntlynnie

Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Oh, just a disclaimer, somehow some other IGC videos got posted, too. I only made the one called "IGC video from Lynn". Larry Baron is the official videographer and he made all the other videos.

Michele, I'm so looking forward to meeting you and everyone else at camp.

Lynn

wiley

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:32 pm

TGNeil

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:48 pm

wiley wrote:
Another suggestion of sorts, really directed at Dave....

Braelyn recently attended Berklee's Summer 'Vocal Summit' and one of the 'workshops' she attended was 'Speed Writing'. In short, they had the entire group decide on certain aspects, like topic, style (which needs a better clarification -inex. - 'verse-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Outro)), progression, etc then break off into small, maybe 4 or 5 person groups.

Each group was overseen by any and all instructors and given a time limit, I believe an hour and a half. Then, a performance perhaps? Wouldn't have to be all of the group,just one or two or....

Any interest in this? Or something like it?

Dave??
Hey Wiley,

We have been talking about something similar this year, rather than the 35-person free for all that happened last year. Small group songwriting projects is on the agenda.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic