Extra Extra! IGC 2017 Is Moving To Asilomar

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Gang,

I was recently told that Presentation is shutting down operations in June and we need to relocate. After panic and denial set in, I scrambled to find another place and think we have a great alternative, just a little further away.

Asilomar Conference Grounds is in Pacific Grove (just south of Monterey), right on the beach, and is where we are going.

I am not sure of all the pluses and minuses just yet but I was there yesterday and now am really excited. The place is fabulous! It would even be perfect for non-playing spouses or friends as there are tons of things to do there and nearby.

We are holding the rates we originally set for the time being, so if anybody is on the fence about joining us let me know soon. We will update the IGC site as soon as things are more settled and hope to have more specific details in the next few days.

Neil

auntlynnie

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, that looks just fantastic!

michelew

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Lynn took the words right out of my mouth. It looks fantastic ... and then some. :)

It looks like the perfect setting to have an even BETTER time than I experienced last time; and that was already really wonderful.

I'll be extra envious this year. :) and I hope to see some of the fun at some stage.

Wonderful setting Neil, such a great choice of venue.

Michele

spinland

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Neil! I'll hold off changing my flight and hotel stuff until all the t's are crossed. B)

Kind of funny, I lived in the Monterey area on two different occasions studying with the Defense Language Institute at the Presidio. My bachelor apartment the first time (in '79) had a view of Asilomar Golf Course. Haven't been there since '85, it'll be fun to see the old digs and what's changed. I wonder whether Compagno's Deli is stlll there...they had the best sourdough bread sandwiches.

Mark

tadnow

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Are the dates the same???

Thanks

TGNesh

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Yes, they certainly are!

tadnow wrote:
Are the dates the same???

Thanks

wrsomers

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

It seems that there is something important missing from this entire discussion about the change of venue. That is...there may be some people that cannot make the transition for one reason or another. And if that is the case, what is Totally Guitars going to do about a situation where someone has already paid for their attendance and air fares but because of the change in venues, cannot attend? This needs to be addressed. Everyone has different agendas, and while the original plan for the camp may have worked for them, the new plans might not.

I want to know what TG is going to do about that. I have asked some questions of Neil via email but have not received the courtesy of any response. I need more details and feel that that input is owed me by TG.

This is not to say that I won't attend, but I need more concrete information to decide if I am going to be there or not. For me an additional hour of travel time both ways, plus the additional cost is significant. Bottom line, this new plan is not what I signed up for.

Answers please.

Bill

TGNeil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:06 pm

wrsomers wrote:
It seems that there is something important missing from this entire discussion about the change of venue. That is...there may be some people that cannot make the transition for one reason or another. And if that is the case, what is Totally Guitars going to do about a situation where someone has already paid for their attendance and air fares but because of the change in venues, cannot attend? This needs to be addressed. Everyone has different agendas, and while the original plan for the camp may have worked for them, the new plans might not.

I want to know what TG is going to do about that. I have asked some questions of Neil via email but have not received the courtesy of any response. I need more details and feel that that input is owed me by TG.

This is not to say that I won't attend, but I need more concrete information to decide if I am going to be there or not. For me an additional hour of travel time both ways, plus the additional cost is significant. Bottom line, this new plan is not what I signed up for.

Answers please.

Bill
Hey Bill,

Sorry I did not respond to your email immediately, I was in a lesson when it came in so the courtesy of a response was a bit delayed. As I mentioned in the email, this is not what we signed up for either and I have been scrambling since last week when Presentation canceled our contract to find something that might work. We have found easy ways to get from airports to Monterey, including shuttles and other attendees offering rides, and am working on lots of other details that need to be addressed.

I certainly thought you were on board when you mentioned Pebble Beach and then requested a single room, so I am a bit surprised to hear you would like to cancel. But if that is the case we will refund your fees. I am not sure what additional cost you are referring to as we are not charging registered folks anything extra, in spite of the fact that our costs went up considerably, almost doubled as a matter of fact. We just decided to absorb it and plan differently next year.

The new plan is not what we signed up for either but we are confident that this year's IGC will be even better than last, and I hope you roll some of the thoughts around for a few days. Please let us know of anything we could do to make it work better for you as we could certainly use input and help from everybody as we try to deal with this unfortunate situation.

If you decide to cancel I, and a lot of other people, will miss you, but I will understand.

Neil

TGNesh

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 am

Well Neil and Matt, I for one, am VERY excited to move to Asilomar! :cheer: A guitar camp near the beach in California? :ohmy: What more could I wish for??!! :woohoo:

Yes financially it's a big setback....but I'm glad we're able to do the camp anyway. Our 5th camp, is going to be a BLAST!!!!

Ness

spinland

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:35 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Well Neil and Matt, I for one, am VERY excited to move to Asilomar! :cheer: A guitar camp near the beach in California? :ohmy: What more could I wish for??!! :woohoo:
I'm looking forward to it, too! The last time I was there was in '85 (my oldest daughter was born while we lived in Pacific Grove) and I really want to see the area again.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic