Guitar camp

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
walkabout

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:04 pm

As a new Target member, I am interested in attending the guitar camp next Aug. I have a couple of questions before I sign up.

In one of the videos a fellow talked about the mix of entertainment vs education. Can anyone sumerize how much time is spent in education (lessons, learning) versus being entertained? My interest is in learning, lessons and playing music with others not necessarily being entertained.

My other question is, with the camp being 10 months away how soon do I need to sing up? How soon do the slots fill up?

Any other information about the camp would be helpful.

Thanks

Don

ptraeger

Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Don,

I have attended 4 out of the 5 camps. The education is very good and the entertainment is really a combination of education and entertainment.

During the day, Neil, Vanessa, Dave Nachmanoff, Doug Young and Jim Bruno offer various classes on song writing, alternate tunings, playing with others, vocal coaching, along with individual lessons. Vanessa runs a group play along after lunch. Also, many of the campers will team up to do some collaborative efforts.

In addition, each evening has open mic performances. It is not mandatory to participate, but if you do, it will definitely help you improve greatly in your playing and performance skills.

You will also learn a lot from the other campers. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to share their thoughts and playing ideas. This is a very relaxed hands on camp, not just a bunch of lectures. I feel the camp has really helped me to improve on my playing much faster then I would have in not attending.

I highly recommend the camp. I will be attending next year and hope to meet you.

Pete

spinland

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:58 pm

I'll echo Pete's testimonial. This past IGC was my first, I wasn't 100% sure what to expect, and what I got was a pivotal moment in my musical learning path. I got very little sleep, and spent the bulk of my waking hours learning, practicing, interacting, and generally immersing myself in a wonderful world of musical learning. As he said, the "entertainment" came from the open mic nights, my very first experience with such a thing, and to me one of the more important aspects of the experience.

It does fill up fast, but I believe you'd regret not signing up far more than committing early. Would love to meet you at the next one! :side:

Mark

walkabout

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Pete and Mark, thanks for your comments. Are you sure you both aren't on the Totally Guitars marketing team?

Seriously, the camp sounds great and just what I am looking for. I signed up today! Even though it is 10 months out, I figure it will provide even more incentive to practice and improve.

Thanks again for your comments.

Don

michelew

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Don,

Great decision you’ll have a ball. I attended in 2016 and had an amazing time. If you’re still interested in hearing more you can read my rave report which is at the link below. The hardest part now is waiting for the date to arrive. :)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/159 ... novel.html

dottmcse85630

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Don, I can tell you don't wait. Sign up!

Last year was my second camp. My first year I was unsure and hesitant if I was "qualified" to attend. I had been only playing just 2 years and had never performed for anyone and knowing many campers had been playing nearly their lifetime. Hmm am I going to look like an idiot? Will I be wasting my time and money?
I can testify that attending IGC's are a highlight of my life! Because of the staff and co-campers. I was welcomed with open arms and have gained many new friendships.
Not only that but my learning really accelerated compared to just learning on my own. Sure camp is just a few days long but what you can garner from the teachers and others is immense.

Glad to see have signed up. Many of us count the days down, kinda' like kids do for Christmas to compare

Look forward to seeing you there.

Dennis Ott

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:07 am

Nice move Don! I guess everyone's on the TG marketing team here..... it kinda just happens.... :laugh:

spinland

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:10 pm

In truth, the kickback checks are pretty damned sweet. I recommend going that route. :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic