IGC suggestions?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
elennon

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Doug

Thanks for reaching out for suggestions in advance. I would really like to get a bit of an introduction to Celtic style fingerpicking maybe using open tunings. I have never really made this a goal as I have so many already !! but it is s style of music I love to hear. If there is enough interest from the group to bring this in I would be very happy.

Cheers
Eric

dougyoung

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Maybe we could get those who would be interested in alt tunings/celtic together for a small group session. It's a topic I never get tired of. We can always work on some things 1 on 1 as well.

carolm242

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Doug!
I am so happy to be returning to IGC for my second year!! I enjoyed every second of it last year and your DADGAD class was surely a highlight!! I would love to see more content on alternate tunings, perhaps how to use partial capos, and what Vic G said- how to take a song that you love, and make your very OWN fingerstyle arrangement of it, with the melody built in and all. Not sure if that can be learned or if it is an inner talent. I would love to learn how to make a song my own.

And Celtic!! Yes I would so love to have something with Celtic music.

Also, maybe a beginners primer on how to use Garage Band? Or how to record a video on something besides your iPhone? And a brief overview of microphones and amps for beginners with technophobia?

That’s my thoughts- thanks for opening up this discussion!! I know I will enjoy all of the content at IGC 2018, as I did last year ;) See you guys real soon!!!
Carol

dottmcse85630

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 am

I agree with Carol, a tutorial on how to use Garage Band would definitely help.

Dennis

dottmcse85630

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry for the numerous posts.

Doug, I thought I would bring a few of my gadgets to use and share. You are welcome to use them for your class.
And folks are welcome to try them out for themselves.

Tonewood Amp - Gizmo that attaches on the back of the guitar.
TC Helicon PlayAcoustic
Electro Harmonics - Canyon pedal

Dennis

spinland

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am

Here's another thumbs up to the idea of a Celtic-flavored class or three!

Yes, Dennis: please bring toyz! :silly:

Mark

ramazzoli

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Hello all...i nkow i’m usually a forum hermit, but here’s my $0.02 wish list as well:

Ditto the theory section on chords and arranging. I personally would like to learn about color tones and how to use them. I know that probably gets more into jazz, but sus, b5, 7s, 9s, 11s etc are really all over. Same particularly for some basic substitution theory like tritone (when and how to use them) or II-V-I vs ii-V-I. That might be max’s area.

I did enjoy dave’s lead class a couple years ago as well. Tht might lead to a small jam session to actually put into practice.

Always up for open/celtic, or maybe consider hawaiian/slack (and key riffs etc)...like why does hawaiian taro patch sound hawaiian but keef richards open g doesn’t sound like taro at all...maybe even neil could join in the instruction and melt into a kanikapila.

Robb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic