IGC suggestions?

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
dougyoung

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi gang, I was just chatting with Neil about camp this year, really looking forward to seeing everyone. I'm working on a few things for a workshop, but it seemed like a good time to ask if there's anything specific you'd like me to talk about/help with, either in a group session or individually in 1-1s. All the repeat attendees know my general areas, mostly instrumental and fingerstyle. Any ideas on what you'd like to learn about or work on for this or future years would be more than welcome! See you soon.

Doug

familyman4

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Hello Doug,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join IGC this year but I thought I would make a suggestion for you for the group. I have always thought that a basic care and maintenance for the guitar would be a wonderful class. Changing strings, cleaning the fret board. slight truss rod adjustments, cleaning the surface and what type of polish to use, etc. etc. My thoughts are that this type of class wouldn't really take mare than 1/2 an hour or so but would really help educate a lot of people.

Maybe this would go well with your hand exercise and warm up process.

Just a thought. Have fun!!!!
Bart

wiley

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Doug, not so much in your area, but some advice and examples on microphone placement both vocals and acoustic guitar and a bit further, how to properly EQ, when possible, on something along the 3 band most mixers have? Most of us, especially myself, use a vocal mic so little perhaps a class on how to use a microphone?

dougyoung

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 am

Good ideas, between the various instructors, we should be able to cover some of this. Keep them coming!

vzg14

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Doug. I'm quite intrigued by how you come up with your cover tune arrangements. I'm assuming you pick out a familiar melody that you like from a popular song, but then the process of finding an appropriate tuning, and then coming up with the supporting chord progressions and counter melodies is where I think the real magic is created. I know you touch on some of your tricks in previous IGCs, but to have them all in one or two sessions as a focused topic and to see it starting from one melody to a finished product would be awesome.

Thanks,
-Victor

dean1342

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:00 am

Hi Doug,

This will be my first camp, yippee! I would love to cover, in group or individual sessions, theory and music knowledge. I have found over the years that I tend to learn songs by memorizing tab or chords as opposed to learning what is going on with the song or even arranging the song myself. Obviously we only have 3 days and this could literally cover the span of a college degree in music, but maybe you have some secrets or a path that worked for you. What parts of theory are non-negotiable for taking it to the next level? I have always felt that if I knew more about the underpinnings of music I would be more competent or comfortable in a song. Anyway, maybe this is a tad nebulous but there it is.

Thanks,
Dean

wiley

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 pm

How about “chord progressions” and how to not only use them when writing but when listening and trying to figure out an existing piece. I know it’s mainly theory yet what exactly do folks like Neil and Dave et al listen for?

For Dr. Dave, what do we do when we want to “turn” a song to say one feeling and lead the listener to another? Something outside persay going from Major chords to minor?

And how about some thoughts on the pending “Music Modernization Act”? - having to do with how music is copywriter and equities (royalties) paid, and how online streaming is handled?

dottmcse85630

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Doug, I am glad you asked.
I would like to learn about equipment, such as mixing boards, pedals, and other equipment that can add a different dimension to playing.

Dennis

dougyoung

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Dennis, I'll bring a few toys to play with, and I think Max is planning to bring a whole toy store to demo :-) I'll have a cool new digital board for the PA system, as well, so we can mess around with that for those who are interested.

spinland

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:50 am

Sounds like fun! I'm planning to bring my Memphis 339 and my Fly Rig 5 "pedalboard" with a battery pack to feed it. Lean and mean. Looking forward to seeing Moar Toyz! :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic