IGC 2018 Recap

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
spinland

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Wow, what a (literal) trip! As life returns to normalcy in Spinland, some thoughts as I look back....

[li]The bar for performances was raised yet again. Even more WOW! moments than last year, which had plenty.[/li]
[li]My personal comfort level was higher during performances. Not blasé by any means, but not as terrified.[/li]
[li]Lots of folks plugging in rather than putting a mic on their guitars. Good trend, methinks (more consistent sound and easier on the "roadies"), and next year I plan to follow suit.[/li]
[li]Be good if we could manage more exclusivity among the surrounding lodgings (more in line with last year). A little friction from late night playing, and I felt having so many "strangers" wandering through could make security of the gear more problematic.[/li]
[li]The daily schedules seemed perfect to me: plenty to get involved with but also down time for naps or private practicing or whatever. [/li]
[li]Great to see Max make an appearance. Based on the percentage of his time that folks steered toward gear talk rather than playing, methinks there's plenty of interest in electric stuff among TG-ers. Would be cool to see more crossover from here to the TEG site (and back, of course).[/li]
[li]Very glad to see Jameela come out, as well as step up to the mic a few times. When even the web gods are into singing and playing you know you're in a good place. :silly: [/li]
[li]So wonderful seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones. Can't wait 'til next year![/li]
Moar thoughts will come in time, to be sure, but that's a good initial run-down. :side:

Mark

spinland

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:57 pm

How could I have left this off my initial list?!

[li]Nani and the HoganSpawn being able to spend so much time with us this year. How cool is that?[/li]
[li]The great hospitality at TG Central Tuesday afternoon/evening.[/li]
[li]Lemons!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!![/li]

spinland

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Some goals for IGC 2019:

[li]Have enough material ready that I can do some mini-sets.[/li]
[li]This year I handled playing without music in front of me; next time I want to play standing.[/li]

spinland

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 am

Another high point:

[li]Finally scheduled a one-on-one voice lesson with Jim Bruno. Extremely informative and a lot of fun. I'd also forgotten he has a sister site (Totally Vocals, IIRC) and I'm going to look into signing up.[/li]

dean1342

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:11 pm

Jim is amazing! Rob and I worked with him before we did Wagon Wheel and I could not believe how comfortable I felt afterwords.

tgjameela

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your thoughts on this latest IGC Mark!

Was great to step out from behind the scenes to meet everyone and seize the opportunity to flex my music muscles ;)

If you're getting into Electric Guitar, check out our other family member Totally Electric Guitars, Max has a ton of content over there!

spinland

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm

tgjameela wrote:
If you're getting into Electric Guitar, check out our other family member Totally Electric Guitars, Max has a ton of content over there!
Yes, indeedy! I alluded to that upstream but wasn't as clear and I neglected to include the link. :blush:

It's a great site, chock full of top notch lessons both song-based and topic-oriented. It'd be killer to see things get livelier over there! :side:

M

TGNesh

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 am

Awesome recap Mark! :cheer:

You got some great goals for next year too. :)

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm really glad you've enjoyed our camp and it was great have you and see you again. Next year! ;)

Ness

carolm242

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Wow. I just can’t believe IGC 2018 is already tucked away in the book of happy memories!! This was year #2 for me, and I already can’t wait for IGC 2019!!! This year was just as fun as last year was, I saw many old friends from last year- so glad us 3 “newbies” from last year all made it back again (Eric and Mark), and we had some brand new campers to welcome this year too!!
It was a special time hanging out with Vic and everyone! (Thanks again for letting me borrow that sweeeeeet custom-15 Martin!!

I made a “camp goal list” before arriving, and I think I got everything checked off!!
1. Play at least 2-3 open mics (did 3)
2. Do a performance workshop (done)
3. Do a vocal session with Jim (done, whew!, and why didn’t I do this last year, don’t put this off and thanks Vic for encouraging me to do this!!!)
4. Play guitar a little less and talk to people a little more (did this sometimes-still working on this one)
5. Play a duet with singing... (got the duet done- way to go Vic!!- but the singing thing has to wait for next year)
6. Get plenty of sleep. (Oops this is from a DIFFERENT list)
7. Have WAAAAAY too much fun!! Check.

The icing on the cake was touring the Taylor Guitar Factory, having a lesson with Neil, sitting down with Doug and getting to play his custom 12 string in DADGAD, and just being back at IGC again and having more fun than should be legal. See you guys next year!!!

TGNesh

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:10 pm

You crack me up Carol :laugh: :laugh: , another awesome recap, love it!

You did great, very proud of you! On to year #3. :cheer:

Ness

carolm242 wrote:
Wow. I just can’t believe IGC 2018 is already tucked away in the book of happy memories!! This was year #2 for me, and I already can’t wait for IGC 2019!!! This year was just as fun as last year was, I saw many old friends from last year- so glad us 3 “newbies” from last year all made it back again (Eric and Mark), and we had some brand new campers to welcome this year too!!
It was a special time hanging out with Vic and everyone! (Thanks again for letting me borrow that sweeeeeet custom-15 Martin!!

I made a “camp goal list” before arriving, and I think I got everything checked off!!
1. Play at least 2-3 open mics (did 3)
2. Do a performance workshop (done)
3. Do a vocal session with Jim (done, whew!, and why didn’t I do this last year, don’t put this off and thanks Vic for encouraging me to do this!!!)
4. Play guitar a little less and talk to people a little more (did this sometimes-still working on this one)
5. Play a duet with singing... (got the duet done- way to go Vic!!- but the singing thing has to wait for next year)
6. Get plenty of sleep. (Oops this is from a DIFFERENT list)
7. Have WAAAAAY too much fun!! Check.

The icing on the cake was touring the Taylor Guitar Factory, having a lesson with Neil, sitting down with Doug and getting to play his custom 12 string in DADGAD, and just being back at IGC again and having more fun than should be legal. See you guys next year!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic