Things to do at camp

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
wiley

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 am

A couple of ideals on camp.

Microphone usage mainly. We have one of the best at amplifying acoustic instruments available, and Mr. Young has given talks before about recording and multiple setups for just such. However I don’t believe he has every really sat down and talked about placing microphones in certain positions for live performances. Some of us do not have electronics in our instruments so, I think it would be a great advantage to even those who do.

And how to ‘tweak’ the settings, how to blend and how to do exactly what with a pre-amp or even at the mixer.

Effects - what to use, how much to use, when to use it.

For many Mr. Bruno has been a great addition to the team, and I for one look forward to spending time with Jim every year. However, one item that I don’t believe we have ever, in a group setting, gone over with Jim is how to properly use the vocal microphone as the instrument it is. The tricks of the trade, how certain microphones effect what the audience hears, like the difference of the old reliable Shure SM-58 vs say, a Mictec M-9? When to ‘eat’ the mic, when to back off, how far can you go to the side before going out of ‘pattern’.

And on the same subject, Effects. How and when to use Reverb, Chorus, etc. How much, how to find that ‘sweet spot’ and so on.

Thoughts anyone?