IGC 2022 Comments

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
cathybelle

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Just when you think something can't get better...OMG it does. Better food, better weather, awesome instruction, and WOW what performances!!! I don't want to list stand-out performances, because I can't be here all day, but I really enjoyed seeing collaborative performances throughout the week, as well as on the last night. I am still in the sleep-deprived zombie-recovery phase of re-entry, and overjoyed with the music, friendship and found-family that is IGC. Well done all!!!

lcuff_guitar

Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:50 pm

It was all fabulous. As a first-timer I felt very welcomed and celebrated. I loved the celebratory vibe, (as opposed to a competitive vibe, in particular). Good theory lectures, good vocal stuff, good songwriting class. Neil laughs himself about his digressions, but they were mostly on-topic and interesting, if occasionally over my head.

Food is my downfall. I probably ate a dozen rice-crispy squares, and a dozen of the chocolate coconut squares. (Blush/hang head in shame). I'd prefer they weren't available, but I'll survive if they're available next year. And I'm definitely coming next year.

carolm242

Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:35 pm

lcuff_guitar wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:50 pm
It was all fabulous. As a first-timer I felt very welcomed and celebrated. I loved the celebratory vibe, (as opposed to a competitive vibe, in particular). Good theory lectures, good vocal stuff, good songwriting class. Neil laughs himself about his digressions, but they were mostly on-topic and interesting, if occasionally over my head.

Food is my downfall. I probably ate a dozen rice-crispy squares, and a dozen of the chocolate coconut squares. (Blush/hang head in shame). I'd prefer they weren't available, but I'll survive if they're available next year. And I'm definitely coming next year.
Leonard I share your sweet tooth misgivings, haha!! I think we all appreciated the afternoon "sweets table" that so magically kept appearing every day. It was so fun to see you taking in IGC as a first timer!! It was great meeting you and glad you have graduated into a returning alumnus!!

vzg14

Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:36 pm

In a separate email, Neil asked for some feedback regarding this year's (2022) IGC. In an effort to bump up traffic in the TG forum, I'll put my comments here.

Neil wrote: "I’d also like to get your comments, suggestions and thoughts on this year’s camp as soon as possible, while it is fresh. Feel free to reply to all, or me, or even post on the TG Forum if you are so inclined"

For those of us who have attended multiple IGCs, we always come out of each of them saying that it gets better every year, and IGC 2022 was no exception. They get better not only because of the efforts of our wonderful IGC staff and support crew, but the participants, my fellow campers, as well. All who are involved truly make each camp better than the last. We always leave wondering how it could get any better than what was just experienced, and then you simply have to come back and find out that it does. I thank everyone for that.

As for the food, it's all been said and I have no complaints. Yes, it was better than last year (which we give them a pass because I believe we were their first customers under the new management), but it still doesn't quite match with the "world-class chefs at the Green Mountain Retreat" moniker that is advertised on the IGC registration site. I will give a shoutout to Nani and the Hogan family for providing the snacks, both store bought and homemade deliciously.

Regarding the classes, I'm a theory nerd myself. I took music theory courses in college and I appreciate "resurrecting and exercising" those concepts from my mental archives. For improvements, I think creative visual aids would be helpful and maybe giving us some practical exercises to bring those concepts home and under our playing fingers going beyond conceptualizing them. Additionally, I'm hoping there will be more time allotted for the performance workshop to give more people the opportunity to get feedback on things they are working on. I fully understand and agree with getting our newest IGCers first dibs, but I think all of us are working on improving our performance chops so I find that opportunity for feedback to be golden throughout all skill levels.

As for the accommodations, I was quite happy where I was in the Pueblo building and would definitely not mind returning there. I am habitually an early riser even on those late night evenings and I appreciated the opportunity to grab my guitar and walk down the hallway to practice in the performance hall at 6am without disturbing anyone. Hopefully I was able to treat some folks to good (enough) music while grabbing their early morning cup o' Joe.. I will also add that when I did go to bed before the late night jam ended, the "noise" level was at a minimum when the hallway doors are closed, so no problem for me to get to sleep even with a slight case of FOMO (fear of missing out).

I certainly plan on coming back next year and I hope to see you all again then for our family reunion.

-Victor

TGNesh

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:22 am

So great to read your comments on IGC 2022!

It sounds like you had a blast. I certainly didn't expect anything less.

Thanks for posting your experiences!

TGNesh 8-)

auntlynnie

Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:54 am

So, I've been home for about ten days, and still thinking about how cool it was this year. I loved the Pueblo building and how it allowed for the big jams at night, and then just a short walk to bed. As others said, the noise level wasn't bad with room door closed.
The food was fine - no complaints here.
Thanks to everyone who performed - there were so many inspiring performances. That just gets better every year. Thanks to Jeff Cohen and Dave Nachmanoff for leading the late night jam (on the two nights I managed to stay up that late!).
I can't think of any specific suggestions - it all worked out well for me. I really enjoyed being there with all of you! Thanks for all the hard work that went into this event!
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic