IGC 2024 Spring - Reviews

This is the place for the details on our camps. The fifth annual one will run August 21 - 25, 2017 at the Asilomar Conference Center on the Monterey Peninsula.
TGNeil

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 pm

Hey TGers,

Yesterday we wrapped up our first Spring IGC. We revamped the format significantly to be less focused on performing (Open Mic Nights), and more geared toward instruction and collaborating. We closed it down on Sunday, April 28, and on Monday afternoon I sat down with Marc for a short recap. I expect some of the campers will weigh in with their thoughts soon.

eagle56

Wed May 01, 2024 1:07 pm

My first IGC was great. Great instructors, a supportive and collegial atmosphere and the opportunity to perform. The added "X" factor was meeting so many very nice and interesting people, brought together by a common love of music. Exceeding my expectations. Just fantastic.
It so happens that my first IGC was also the first Spring IGC, which apparently was smaller than the "regular" Fall IGC events by about half. I liked this size. From talking to IGC veterans, the Fall IGC events have more of a focus on performance, which I would also like, but the Song Circle and Mealtime playing slots filled that bill pretty well.

This was a great "re-entry" vehicle for me as I now have much more time to focus on music.

See you in Spring 2025!

Rick

TGNeil

Thu May 09, 2024 10:44 pm

IGC 2024 Spring Recap

We started Thursday night at 5:30 with an orientation, followed by dinner at 6:00 (meals are scheduled at 8:00. 12:00, and 6:00). After dinner the evening program was the teachers performing and talking– Neil, Mike Mullins, Doug Young, Jim Bruno and Dave Nachmanoff. Folks then gathered in the Pueblo Lounge for the late-night jam, led by Jeff Cohen (who is now ‘Associate Staff’ along with Victor Gacusan), and Dave.

Friday started at 9:00 with Neil’s workshop, then from 10:00-12:00 we split the campers into four groups of four and they rotated through four teacher’s stations for 30 minutes each. The stations were manned by Neil, Mike, Doug, and Jim. We labeled these Breakout Sessions. Saturday morning was similar except Jim led the workshop at 9:00, then everybody was put in a new group and rotated through the teachers again. It was surprising how each session took different directions, rather than each teacher doing the same thing with each group.

At 1:00 both days Jeff and Dave led the ‘Campfire Class’, where everybody played along with some relatively easy songs. Dave then held his Songwriting class at 2:00 while Neil, Doug, Jim, and Mike saw students for semi-private lessons in 20-minute blocks. People were also free during the 2:00-6:00 time to practice alone or with others. We really encourage everybody to feel free to eavesdrop on anybody’s lesson and be a ‘Fly On The Wall’.

Friday night’s session was a Song Circle. About 20 people sat in a circle and passed the song torch around. Some passed it to their neighbor without playing, but most played something. Some people also invited others to join in, maybe for singing or playing a long. At one point Bill started an instrumental version of Behind Blue Eyes, but almost everybody knew the words and it turned into a big sing-along. A second night of playing and singing wrapped the day up in the Pueblo again.

Saturday was similar to Friday, although there were less scheduled lessons with the teachers as people were working on songs to play at the Open Mic that evening. We encourage campers to collaborate with others as much as possible and consider putting something together for Open Mic Night.

Neil opened the night with some tunes and stories, followed by some solo spots. After a short break we started the second set with a song written over the two days by Dave’s Songwriting Class, then a few collaborations. As is usual for the IGC, the night ended with a few more teacher performances, although Mike had to leave earlier. We started with Jim rocking out a bit, then some beautiful instrumentals from Doug. Neil and Dave closed the Spring IGC with a couple Al Stewart songs. The last Pueblo jam started about 10:00 and wrapped up around midnight as most people were running on fumes, and some had to be out early for flights home.

The feedback from the campers has been incredibly positive and we will have to make this a recurring event in tandem with our Fall IGC. The emphasis there will still be a little more on performing and Open Mics but we will definitely incorporate some of the events and ideas that were so successful in the Spring IGC. The upcoming Fall event will be held September 9-13, 2024, and the next Spring IGC will be in late April 2025.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic