Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
wrsomers

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Hello,
This doesn't appear to have been requested before, and there aren't any real lessons out there yet, so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Moonlight Mile is possibly my favorite Stones song, and the melody and riff are gorgeous. As with many songs in their catalog, it's in open G tuning. The main riff has a bunch of hammer-ons/pull-offs, and some of the timing sounds tricky--the kind of thing that Neil breaks down so well. It would also be interesting to hear Neil's take on the theory behind the song. While Keith didn't play on the recording, apparently the riff was something Keith was noodling with and had dubbed the "Japanese Thing" (thanks, Wikipedia).

Please give it a listen if you haven't heard the song before and some votes if you like it. I'd love to see a lesson for this on TG.

kelemenj

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:05 pm

That's a great request! I would like to see a standard tuning version as well.

John

crieniecat

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Interesting choice of song.
Hadn't heard it before but like it :-)
Stones are always gooood....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic