Request for Songs by Jeff Lynne and ELO (Electric Light Orchestra

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
micke1967

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 am

Hi When I was kid early 70s I always listened a lot to a band called ELO (and still does). I simly love their songs and the very clear inspiration from Beatles they have in their music. In Europe (where I live) they where always huge...but don't know if they are well known in the US??
Anyway Jeff Lynne who is the main man in ELO also wrote songs for Del Shannon, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison to mention a few..And where also o founding member of Traveling Wilburys.
Now searching the internet its almost impossible to find any guitar lessons on their songs so perhaps this request can lead to some here on totally guitars..

Some of my favorites would be:
Mr Blue Sky, Evil Woman, Strange Magic, Summer and Lightning, sweet talkin woman, Jungle, Confusion, Last Train to London, turn to stone, evil woman, don't bring me down, Rockaria and many more..have a look for your self on you tube as per below..enjoy..

TGNesh

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:56 am

Ah so you found your way to the right place (for recommendations, I read your comment on Facebook ), good for you! :)

In thruth, I actually wrote down your list yesterday, listened to several songs and enjoyed it too. Thanks for organizing the videos all together and tuning in here.

Cheers,

Vanessa

auntlynnie

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:53 am

Oh, yes - I, too listened to a lot of ELO.
Enjoyed these Youtube videos, too.
I watched the "Acoustic" versions to see how they might sound with an acoustic guitar only, but the piano was miked louder and I couldn't really hear the guitar.
Anyhow, maybe Neil or Vanessa will put up a lesson on one of them.
Great songs!
Lynn

micke1967

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:54 am

Hi
Yep it was hard to hear the acoustic guitar in those vids due to piano..anyway great that you like them too..
I added a link here to a person that does a lot of finger style guitar...(no lessons though I think) but his version of telephone line is rather nice..no vocals just guitar...
Best regards Micael

TGNesh

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:43 am

Ah you're looking for instrumentals, then I'll hand it over to Neil! ;)

Best to you too,

Vanessa

micke1967 wrote:
Hi
Yep it was hard to hear the acoustic guitar in those vids due to piano..anyway great that you like them too..
I added a link here to a person that does a lot of finger style guitar...(no lessons though I think) but his version of telephone line is rather nice..no vocals just guitar...
Best regards Micael

Music Junkie

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

micke1967 wrote:
Hi
Best regards Micael
I believe Phil does give lessons on some of his songs. He has some amazing fingerstyle solos for a lot of classic rock songs. Very talented player. You would have to contact him about what he does or does not offer. :-)

auntlynnie

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:55 am

Micael & Jason,
Who is this guitarist? I've never heard him before.
What a fantastic cover of Telephone Line!
Now I want to go find more of his covers.
Cheers,
Lynn

micke1967

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:35 am

removed

Lavallee

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 am

micke1967

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 am

Well I was a bit concerned by that myself (since not wanting to risk advertise other lessons then TG) but I don't think Phil actually gives lessons any more at all-I think that was some years ago he did that--he only plays now I think.....but sure Ill remove my last reference as per your suggestion...

Its a bit hard since almost all artists that are not super famous have some sort of tab or similar that can classify as lesson on their webpages it seems..

And in this case Phils version is the only acoustic version Ive found of Telephone Line with ELO--hence I added it for inspiration for hopefully future lessons on some ELO songs..
It was never intended as anything else...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic