Voting to turn a recommended song into a lesson

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
sbutler

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 am

So, now that I think I'm done with surgery's and cutting off the same finger over and over again, I'm back to practicing a little every day. Which brings me to the question in the subject line. Several weeks ago, I saw Neil mention community voting for songs to become lessons, in lieu of the old "Recommend a Lesson list". How does it work, and am I in the right spot?

Along time ago, I submitted a Tommy Emmanuel song, "Ruby's Eyes" as a song I'd love to work on as a lesson. Tons of technique involved, particularly allowing notes to ring, while going for the next one. Of course there are hammer on's, pull off's, slides, and all the other stuff that Tommy does.

Until this week, I'd just sort of forgotten about submitting in that list. However, Wed night, I caught one of Tommy's live shows, broadcast on PBS, and in that show, he played Ruby's Eyes. So the flame has been ignited again, and I'd love to learn the proper finger placement and everything that it takes to play this song properly.

So how about it gang? Am I in the right place? Is this thread enough to get the Head Master at TG to turn it into a lesson? Can ya'll help a bro out?

Scott

sandysue

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Scott

That is a really pretty instrumental that Tommy E. is playing. i don't know if I'm at the level yet to do that song justice, but I will vote with you for Neil to turn it in to a lesson for everyone. :)

Sandy

wrsomers

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 am

This one's got my vote.
Bill

sbutler

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:29 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Scott

That is a really pretty instrumental that Tommy E. is playing. i don't know if I'm at the level yet to do that song justice, but I will vote with you for Neil to turn it in to a lesson for everyone. :)

Sandy
thanks Sandy. Several years ago, I promised my daughter I'd learn how to play this song, I haven't made it too far.

willem

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 pm

sbutler wrote:
sandysue wrote:
Hi Scott

Sandy
thanks Sandy. Several years ago, I promised my daughter I'd learn how to play this song, I haven't made it too far.[/quote

I vote for your promise but it looks like a great finger pickin puece also,, hey it is Tommy.

W.

TGNeil

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Scott,

This is a great piece and I have a proposal that might be fun and educational for everybody. Ruby's Eyes is not a pyrotechnic puzzle (read Clap in hear), but requires a very fluid and percussive right hand. Tommy never plays it note-for-note exactly the same. It is really just a melody played over a chord progression. Agonizing over every note in a tab version will probably go nowhere but the tab can be very helpful to get a grip on the chords and melody.

Here is what I would propose. How about you upload a video of what you have so far and we can start working on individual parts, or even measures, like I might do with a student who walked in working on Ruby's Eyes. You can use the Uploaded Videos For Review Forum and I will reply within a couple days. The back and forth could go through mane incarnations and maybe you just title your uploads Ruby's Eyes 1, Ruby's Eyes 2...

What do you think?

Neil

sbutler

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:48 am

Neil, I could give that a go. I don't own any recording equipment except a tablet and a smart phone, but I'll give it a go.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic