Playing with a slide; beyond slide 101 - Who's interested in learning how to create lots of cool slide sounds?

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
michelew

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:53 am

There's a lesson in the library that touches on playing with a slide; "If Not for You". I learned enough in that lesson to make some cool slide sounds, but I feel like I still know very little about slide possibilities.

I'd love to learn more about how to play with a slide in both standard tuning and any open tuning that works well (Open G?). What are the basics? What's the range of different sounds you can make? What can you do easily, without too much practice? What's possible if you invest some time into getting your slide skills down too.

One day I think I'd like to get a lap steel. Is it possible to get the same effect just using a normal steel-string?

Anyone else interested in learning how to make those cool sounds? If so, log your interest here.

Thanks!

M

willem

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:06 am

Oh sure, that so cool, I 'm in.

B)

auntlynnie

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:31 am

Michelle,
I have been wondering about slide for....ever.
I didn't realize that Neil touched on it in a lesson - I'll take a look at that, but yes, I'd love to learn a bit about slide, too.
Lynn

TGNeil

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:35 am

Check the Amazing Grace lesson as well.

Amazing Grace (Slide Guitar)

Neil

michelew

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks Neil that was a good set of reminders. While I need to practice to ensure I get clean sounds, I think I've got all of those concepts. Perhaps I'm looking for something a little more advanced like playing in open tunings (multiple notes), and any other fancy stuff that you want to introduce us to.

I do like the different sounds of the different materials. I've had a real challenge finding a slide that is thin enough...apparently only people with big hands want to play slide. :) I may need to take a trip to the hardware store. Thanks for the suggestion about the curved/concave slide. That's great to know. I'll look out for some.

The Amazing Grace lesson was a nice trip down memory lane, seeing your original set-up reminded me of the early years of TG. :)

Feel like making a lesson on more advanced slide stuff? (You mentioned other segments in the Amazing Grace Lesson so I assume you've already got some plans in that area)

OK TG Community, who's up for a lesson on more advanced slide techniques and tricks? Lodge your vote here.

Edit - I've ordered a Jim Dunlop heavy brass concave slide (they only had medium). I can't wait to get it now and to experiment with open tuning and multiply strings sliding at once. I think I've managed adjacent strings, but more will be a lot of fun. :) woo hoo! :lol: :silly: :woohoo:

michelew

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:58 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Michelle,
I have been wondering about slide for....ever.
I didn't realize that Neil touched on it in a lesson - I'll take a look at that, but yes, I'd love to learn a bit about slide, too.
Lynn
Hey Lynn - both lessons (Amazing Grace and If Not For You) are great. They will absolutely get you going and having fun. Slide will be great to add to your blues playing. :) it is very cool.

Willem - yep! Coooooool with a capital C. :)

Thanks for the votes of support.

M :)

Lavallee

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:01 am

Hi Michele,

I totally agree with the slide guitar lessons. amazing grace and if not for you are not songs that reaches me musically so I have not put much attention to them (even though Amazing grace has a lot of information about slide).

Songs with full sliding chords or mixture of chords and picked notes, slided notes and all of this are found in blues. This takes me to my request and I think it would be in line with Michele's request.

I think this site deserves a blues section. There are many blues songs but they are listed per author (you have to search for blues in the lesson but it does not make it a blues place).

There is already a blues introduction in the genius section. So a blues section can already be done by creating a section to group all the lessons per type let say intro, shuffle, finger style and maybe add some Chicago blues and a full slide section. I would see the slide section with all the intro, to choice of slide as explained in Amazing grace with a deeper demonstration of the sounds and where they apply better , the type of strings best suited for slide and as you mentioned, Michele, alternate tuning slide songs. It could also include basic slide exercises with the tabs from classic songs to get started with slide. I would love to see a few songs with a Dobro like travelling blues for example. Also example of songs that can be made more slide oriented like before you Accuse me of Eric Clapton that Neil did a great lesson on.

Marc

TGNeil

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:37 am

Hi Gang,

These are great suggestions and I will see what I can do about a few specific lessons that take slide playing to a higher level, maybe Leo Kottke even. Specific song requests would be helpful.

Neil

dtaylor

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:29 am

I requested this (albeit the original) 5 years ago ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3Pb3M5Dzs

jcrocket

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Well, since you asked for specific song requests:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic