Playing with a slide; beyond slide 101 - Who's interested in learning how to create lots of cool slide sounds?

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Neil Wrote:
These are great suggestions and I will see what I can do about a few specific lessons that take slide playing to a higher level, maybe Leo Kottke even. Specific song requests would be helpful.

:ohmy:

michelew

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks Neil! Specific songs. Yeh good one! :) the two posted by Dean and Jeff are cool to be sure.

I really enjoy Ben Harper's and John Butler's slide work. But I think most of their stuff is played on a lap steel. So... I don't have any specific recommendations yet that an be played on a normal acoustic with a tube slide.

I'll scan my library further.

Exciting!!!! Woo hoo!

michelew

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Michele,

I totally agree with the slide guitar lessons. amazing grace and if not for you are not songs that reaches me musically so I have not put much attention to them (even though Amazing grace has a lot of information about slide).

Songs with full sliding chords or mixture of chords and picked notes, slided notes and all of this are found in blues. This takes me to my request and I think it would be in line with Michele's request.

I think this site deserves a blues section. There are many blues songs but they are listed per author (you have to search for blues in the lesson but it does not make it a blues place).

There is already a blues introduction in the genius section. So a blues section can already be done by creating a section to group all the lessons per type let say intro, shuffle, finger style and maybe add some Chicago blues and a full slide section. I would see the slide section with all the intro, to choice of slide as explained in Amazing grace with a deeper demonstration of the sounds and where they apply better , the type of strings best suited for slide and as you mentioned, Michele, alternate tuning slide songs. It could also include basic slide exercises with the tabs from classic songs to get started with slide. I would love to see a few songs with a Dobro like travelling blues for example. Also example of songs that can be made more slide oriented like before you Accuse me of Eric Clapton that Neil did a great lesson on.

Marc

Lots of great suggestions in there Marc. Thanks for the support on this one. Clapton definitely has some great slide work. :)

willem

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:19 am

Specific songs, well blues songs for sure, maybe "baby please don't go".

More and more we find on the tube cool songs and lessons with slide in it, I prefer a sort of fingerpickin and slide involved.

Most important for me is how to fit it in the measers..

This is such a cool style but when I listen to songs with only slide or a lot of slide I don't like it, it's not my taste then.

B)

Willem

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:28 am

Michelle

Don't forget about the Owen Campbell lesson Sunshine Road too !

Dermot

:)

michelew

Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:14 am

Thanks Dermot. I'll check it out.

M

Edit - OMG! That is SO cool! I completely missed this lesson. I'll be giving it a go for sure. I love it. Need to get me a shot glass. :)

Thanks so much Dermot. You're a walking TG library index.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic