blues section is needed

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
Lavallee

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:42 am

This is a comment I made in Michele's thread about slide guitar but I do not want to hijack her thread so I am opening a new one.

I think this site deserves a blues section. There are many blues songs but they are listed per author (you have to search for blues in the lesson but it does not make it a blues place).

There is already a blues introduction in the genius section. So a blues section can already be done by creating a section to group all the lessons per type let say intro, shuffle, finger style and maybe add some Chicago blues and a full slide section. I would see the slide section with all the intro, to choice of slide as explained in Amazing grace with a deeper demonstration of the sounds and where they apply better , the type of strings best suited for slide and as you mentioned, Michele, alternate tuning slide songs. It could also include basic slide exercises with the tabs from classic songs to get started with slide. I would love to see a few songs with a Dobro like travelling blues for example. Also example of songs that can be made more slide oriented like before you Accuse me of Eric Clapton that Neil did a great lesson on.

I can see (from Michele's thread) that Neil is already open to other slide guitar lessons so this is great

Marc

Lavallee

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 am

I am bringing this up again as I am surprised that there is not more interest for a blues section. It seems logical to have it on an acoustic site of this quality

Just checking

Also Neil was asking for slide guitar song suggestions. here is one: Walking Blues originally from Robert Johnson but brought back to the front row but Eric Clapton

Marc

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:42 am

No argument here. Perhaps this could be added when the new iteration of the site comes out?

Lavallee

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks Jay, i agree. The new version of the site might make it easier to add it and also worthwhile to spend time on it. I just want to get the ball rolling
Marc

michelew

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks a cool slide song Marc.

I'm really confident that a blues section WOULD be very popular. Tony is off pursuing his blues passion. Who knows, we may just see him back here if this idea becomes a reality.

I'll be checking it out for sure.

M

TGNeil

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi Gang,

This is something I have tried to get a handle on over the years and maybe I am making it more confusing than necessary but our first level category is artists, many of whom play some blues. Would all Clapton songs be blues (Wonderful Tonight), are any Dire Straits songs blues, Allman Brothers (Melissa?), Doors, Gary Davis, Blind Blake, fingerpicking, Your Mama Don't Dance, Jorma, Stefan Grossman, Stray Cats???

These are some of my confusing thoughts as blues is a wide-ranging genre, like jazz, rock, even folk.

Maybe a blues section just includes common 12-bar shuffle patterns & rhythms, along with lead tips, slide techniques...

Or maybe we just need cross references to songs that fit some part of the "blues" definition.

Marc's link to Walking Blues is helpful, although I had always entertained doing Jorma's version of that Robert Johnson classic.

Like I said, I am having trouble organizing a stand alone Blues Section but I would think there are some possible solutions or connections we can make.

Neil

Lavallee

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Neil,

Thank you for giving your thoughts. I think that a blues section within TG does not need to be enclosing all types of blues. Traditional blues with all the aspects of it as you described it would be fun to have. Nothing prevents to have double links for the songs where they are by artist and in the blues section. However just regrouping the artists to make a blues section would be too thin. The section can evolve over time, it doe not need to be complete and done at first. There are already quite a few lessons that talks about blues techniques that can be used to begin with.

Thanks for considering

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic