Corina checks into heartbreak hotel!

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:24 pm

I was thinking on the same lines as Neil, David. B) No, not bluffing, I have a witness :laugh:

But.... I have to admit to Corina being right again (dang!). I was saying to her that I thought Elvis sang The Great Pretender, I was pretty sure but.... nope he didn't! So here's your public CORINA IS RIGHT AGAIN, Crieniecat, statement :blush: :dry: :laugh:

PS: And I have to say, Neil would have made a swashbuckling pirate back in the day if he had ever entered the forum and boarded a decent pirate thread! :woohoo:

michelew

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm

No excuse now Chris! Neil did a quick demo of three Elvis songs on the news; or was it four.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... -2016.html

You'll need to get your rock n' roll on when Corina puts in an Elvis request in future; no more "TG is an Elvis-free zone" excuses any more. :) :p. Neil has ripped that rug right from under you. Hehe!

BigBear

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:10 am

LOL! Right on Neil!! Even if you post an Elvis lesson I wouldn't waste 3 seconds learning to play it. Not quite ready for the Open Mic Night at the nursing home!!

I will mention one MAJOR oversight, in plain view. There isn't a single Dave Nachmanoff song on this site!! Midnight Sea, the Loyalist and so many other great songs.

Love this thread. It is like the old days!!

I am so going to miss all my friends at IGC this year. I tried so hard to make it happen but couldn't. I will be with you in spirit.

Bear

TGNesh

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 am

Nope, not by me (which you couldn't know obviously). I even asked Dave for his okay on that and we went through a couple of songs when he was here in Holland. From the new album though.

BigBear wrote:
I will mention one MAJOR oversight, in plain view. There isn't a single Dave Nachmanoff song on this site!! Midnight Sea, the Loyalist and so many other great songs.

sws626

Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:52 pm

TGNeil wrote:
We might do an Elvis lesson when somebody can point out what he brought to the guitar playing world, other than being a puppet to bring rock and roll to the white audience in America who would not accept Chuck Berry.

Anon
Not so much for Elvis himself brought to the guitar, but when you consider those songs that feature the guitar work of Scotty Moore and Carl Perkins, I think that constitutes a significant gap. Maybe a series on the guitarists of Sun Records would make up for it.

crieniecat

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 pm

BigBear wrote:

Love this thread. It is like the old days!!

I am so going to miss all my friends at IGC this year. I tried so hard to make it happen but couldn't. I will be with you in spirit.

Bear
And you will be missed Bear!
I kept my fingers crossed in hoping you'd be able to come again this year...
So sorry to hear it didn't work out for you :unsure: :dry:

Hug!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:34 am

I thought you'd like this thread Bear! Us old uns still remember the vibe of the first few months at TG, those were the days my friend! :laugh: And look at us now.... overturning rocks to look for all the missing artists/songs in an impressive library of lessons. Been quite a ride!

My thoughts on Elvis and all that as the dust settles..... those of us born in the 50's were destined to find Elvis not so cool but be energised by the Beatles and the bands of the 60's. I think music impresses us most strongly in our formative years and forms our tastes. Later generations may rediscover what we didn't find so cool and find it to be the bees' knees. And this tread came out of a chat between Corina (who loves Elvis and pretends she doesn't know the Beatles) and myself (who loves the Beatles and finds Elvis just a bit naff, just a bit :laugh: ) and I think our birth dates explain it pretty much.

So, pondering the pros and cons of doing lessons on songs by past icons like Elvis and Chuck Berry that may be a little simple and not offer too much learning, it seems to me that there could be a whole set of simple (for beginners) but very popular songs that could make a great series of free lessons which could attract potential newbees to the site. The title could be, How To Play Elvis (or Chuck) in 10 minutes.

davidrfinn99165

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:51 am

Haha chris - well i'm the same generation ie Beatles rather than Elvis but in recent years i've gone back to find a lot of value in the Elvis catalogue.

I'd love to hear Keith Richards' view on the proposition that there is less learning in Chuck Berry's guitar playing than there is in (for example) Maroon 5... i wouldn't want to be in the same room whilst you explain it to him :)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:55 am

Hi David, its not my view that there is less learning in Chuck Berry's work. Chuck Berry = Rock 'n' Roll in my view.

.....and if you have read Keith Richards, you already know what his views on most things are! :laugh:

PS: Most Beatles songs are not particularly challenging either but I do like them a lot more than Elvis for example. Tastes.

crieniecat

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 am

As I walked down Penny lane, Yesterday (the ones who ever check in to this Hotel, will know that little somewhat hidden and dark alley)
I truly believed I had to Hide away my love, for Elvis... And maybe it was time for me to get a Ticket to ride, Across the Universe, 'cause I felt like The fool on the hill, just me walking in Strawberry fields forever.... oh well....

Then suddenly I thought, no way, Get back! We can work it out! Don't let me down TG :dry:
There is still hope for us reminiscing about good old days and music chicks and dudes, I'm sure... aren't I? :blink:

Eh... The...Beatles? Hmm let me think... B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic