David Francey - Red Wing Blackbird

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
cosmicmechanic

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 am

jayswett wrote:
This guy is really fascinating. I saw him six months ago at the Stone Church in Newmarket, New Hampshire. He tells funny anecdotes before each song, each story lasting several minutes. Very entertaining.

Not sure if he plays any instruments. Mostly writes lyrics and sings, from what I could tell.
Jay, I also saw David Francey play an intimate show in early 2016, and was fortunate to have the opportunity to have a brief chat with him after the show.

I asked him if he plays an instrument while composing, and he said that he doesn't really play guitar enough for that,
and that the melodies are mostly developed by singing the lyrics "a capella" solo, and also bouncing them off the members of his band.

The following video is representative of the performance that I saw, minus the always interesting rambling introduction he gives each song :)

auntlynnie

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 am

So, here's a question for Neil. What are the traits or elements of Irish (or Scottish) Folk Music?
We know it when we hear it, but what is the structure that makes it so recognizable?
I suppose we could ask that question about any kind of music. What is Gospel? What is Soul? etc.
Lynn

wrsomers

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 am

auntlynnie wrote:
So, here's a question for Neil. What are the traits or elements of Irish (or Scottish) Folk Music?
We know it when we hear it, but what is the structure that makes it so recognizable?
I suppose we could ask that question about any kind of music. What is Gospel? What is Soul? etc.
Lynn
Lynn,
Great question. I'm anxious to hear the answer to that one. A lot of it sounds the same to me. It might be that way since Gaelic Ireland and Scotland are both Celtic (as is all of Ireland and most of Europe) and speak their own version of the Gaelic language. One would have to assume that their music is also very similar.

Sorry if I high-jacked this thread yesterday. I just wanted to give David a little ribbing...

Bill

davidrfinn99165

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:51 pm

wrsomers wrote:

Sorry if I high-jacked this thread yesterday. I just wanted to give David a little ribbing...

Bill[/quote]

That picture of you in a kilt certainly gave me something Bill...... just when you think you've seen everything :woohoo:

My apologies also for hi-jacking the thread....i tend to think of irish folk as diddly-dee music and traditional english folk as diddly-i-do music.. i'll let the scots speak for themselves as to where they fit into that picture...... i was driven straight-away from the video at the top of the thread to find out which golf club the guys were playing at.

/ david

jayswett

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:07 am

Here is a link to another david francey song that I happen to like.

tombo1230

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:06 pm

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
wrsomers wrote:

Hi Lynn,
I would call it Irish folk music.
Bill
hey bill
a. i'm not sure the Scots would agree with you....
b. do you fancy a game of golf at the Minto golf club ??
Your right David, he was born in Ayrshire which is Scotland. ;)

Tom N.

martinibates

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Sorry would have replied sooner but I've been away. As for style for me it's just folk. Actually, I just like it. As for the guitarist - he had a different, but very good one with him when I saw him. Yes he has some great albums out - try Skating Rink and Torn screen door. You will also find a number of his songs on Youtube. Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic