On the bus mall - The Decemberists

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
kmwilson99

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 am

I really like this song and I have a hard time picking out the rhythm/accents that the lead singer, Colin Meloy, is using on his guitar. Here's a youtube video of him playing it solo. It's actually a video of him playing two songs, but the one I'd like a lesson on starts around 3:50 into the video:

Here's another youtube link with higher quality audio but no video:

I hope to see a lesson on this someday!

Kevin

TGNesh

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:04 pm

Admittedly, I don't know the song, but I love the Decemberists. I'll check it out.

Thanks Kevin!

kmwilson99

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:42 pm

That's awesome! Thanks!

Kevin

TGNesh

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:32 am

So I've been listening to several performances of the song (which i always do for a TG-lesson) and starting to process the lyrics.

Just wow.....

I mean, I'm very aware of Colin Meloy's incredible lyrics and vocabulary......and this story is just.....well leaves me quite speechless.

Well it sure doesn't seem like a 6 min song. Okay, back to the main focus of the lesson, the strumming. Well it's certainly more than that. ;)

kmwilson99

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:59 pm

I'm glad I was able to introduce you to another great song by The Decemberists! He does such an amazing job of telling a story in his songs and really bringing the story to life.

I can't wait to see the lesson!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic