requesting number 41 by Dave Matthews

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
kmwilson99

Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 pm

Hi all,

I would love to see a lesson on the song #41 by Dave Matthews. I'd like to think I'm an intermediate guitar player now, but this song is proving really challenging for me. I am finding the stretches in the intro impossible, and am curious to see how you all would approach the song. What do you do when you're trying to learn something with a chord shape you aren't able to play? Do you work on stretches and exercises and return to the song later? Do you change the arrangement to something you can play?

I would also appreciate a slow break-down of the rhythm patterns in the different sections of the song. I think I have a rough approximation to the patterns, but I'm not as accurate as I'd like to be.

Here's a video of a solo performance of the song:

He starts playing around 40 seconds into the video. That's the clearest recording I've seen of the song, but it's not as complex as some of the other recordings (still plenty complex...). I'd be very happy if I could play a simpler version of the song though, so that doesn't bother me!

I would gladly purchase a lesson if you're willing to make one, and I suspect it will appeal to others as well!

Kind regards,

Kevin

TGNeil

Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a great example of the types of minimal voicings that Dave uses commonly, like holding a note or two down over bass notes changing. The chord progression is basic (Am - Bm - Em - D at first), but the stretches that include non-triad notes can be challenging. My first suggestion is you need really good left hand position, thumb low on the back of the neck and a lot of space between the bottom of the neck and your palm.

I'll think about adding it to our library sometime.

Neil

kmwilson99

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:19 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply! I hope you do decide to make a lesson on this someday!

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic