Lesson Request for "Sound of Music" fingerstyle solo lessons

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
carolm242

Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:47 pm

Hi Neil,

I would love to see a series of lessons on some of the songs from my favorite musical of all times, which is "The Sound of Music" I saw there is at least one lesson for keyboard (My Fav Things) but would love to see a whole pack of solo fingerstyle guitar lessons from this musical....

DoReMi
Eidelweiss
My Favorite Things
The Lonely Goatherd
Climb Every Mountain
16 Going on 17
There's alot of songs there, I didn't even list them all. They could fill a few lesson packs/bundles, hehe.

Here's a sample of what's out there already,

Doesn't this just melt you down? I'd love to play this!!

TGNeil

Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:57 pm

Hey Carol,

Great tunes, of course. I will add them to my list, but in the meantime, I think you could come up with a good version of Edelweiss on your own. Figure out the melody and try it in a couple keys. I will give some hints on Friday's Update.

Neil

P.S. First, figure out what key the original is in and consider it.

carolm242

Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:24 am

Thanks for putting this on your list of potential lessons Neil!! Meantime I will take up your challenge!! I am thinking there might be a GuitarPro installation in my near future too, hehe.
Cheers, Carol

TGNeil

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:26 am

A hint...

After watching the original scene in the movie, where Christopher Plummer appears to play the guitar (badly mimed I might add), the guitar is tuned 1/2 step down. The first note you hear is an open string.

This is where I would use Song Surgeon or Video Surgeon to change the pitch.

Neil

carolm242

Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:33 am

Hi Neil,

I was working on the melody part of Edelweiss today. Since I already had a starting off hint with the Rainy Day YouTube video, I went with their Key of G, with the F# in it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8/1 9/2
G A B C D E F# G A

I then wrote out the notes of the melody both using the letter names in the key of G, and the scale degree numbers.

B(3) D(5) A(9), G(8) D(5) C(4)
E- Del- Weiss, E- Del- Weiss

B(3) B(3) B(3) C(4) D(5) E(6) D(5)
Ev Ry Mor nIng You Greet Me

I did this for the entire song. Then I tried to figure out our handsome Captain Von Trapp on the movie video. I'm glad you hinted that he has his guitar tuned a half step down.... I keep mine a full step down so I managed to get quite confused even using my capo on fret one to compensate, What note am I hearing him sing? And what note am I actually playing?? Quite some mental gymnastics. I confess I resorted to getting my headstock tuner out, to verify what notes I was actually playing on my guitar.

So I think he's singing a C note for the "You" as in "You look happy to meet me". When I look at my scale numbers, that translates to the 3 in the scale of whatever key he is singing in. The Ab-Major scale has C as the 3 but the other notes in the Ab major scale don't match with the rest of the melody notes in the song.... So now I'm trying to figure out what other keys have C as the 3 and I'm getting a headache....
I will keep working on this and see if I can come up with the answer before you post the Friday weekly video.

TGNeil

Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:13 pm

I may have misled you. I just watched a different excerpt that was at standard pitch. Here is what is probably the most accurate version. You hear him checking the guitar starting with a low open E.

Another important part would be to find all the bass notes. They will help solve the chord questions.

I also just did a quick search for the chords online and everything I found had it in the wrong key. It is not in G.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic